Slow Motion (Man album)
|Studio album by Man|
|Recorded||Rockfield Studios near Monmouth between July and September 1974|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, Progressive rock|
|Label||United Artists Records|
|Producer||Man with Anton Matthews|
Slow Motion is the ninth album by the Welsh psychedelic/progressive rock band Man and was released on the United Artists Records label. It was the only album recorded by this line-up, Malcolm Morley having left the day before recording was due to start. He was not replaced, so the album was recorded by the remaining four members. Unlike the previous and subsequent albums (Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics and The Welsh Connection) Slow Motion failed to make the UK top 40 album chart.
The album title was chosen to challenge sleeve designer Rick Griffin, who painted Alfred E. Neuman shaking a fish, but Mad magazine objected, so the final image concentrated on the fish. The band name "Man" was also written in a font resembling the Mad logo.
All songs composed by Micky Jones, Deke Leonard, Ken Whaley and Terry Williams.
|1.||"Hard Way To Die"||5:21|
|3.||"Rock And Roll You Out"||3:52|
|4.||"You Don't Like Us"||4:33|
|2.||"One More Chance"||4:27|
|4.||"Day And Night"||4:06|
Original LP released on United Artists in 1974 - Catalogue Nos UAG 29675 (UK) and LA 345G (US)
Released as CD on Beat Goes On in 1993 - Catalogue Nos BGOCD 209 (UK) and BGT 209 (US)
Remixed and re-issued with bonus tracks on Esoteric Recordings in 2008 - Catalogue No ECLEC 2062
Bonus tracks on Esoteric re-issue:-
- 9. "Rock and Roll You Out" (1st mix)
- 10 "Hard Way to Live" (Live)
- 11 "Hard Way to Die" (Live at the Keystone, Berkeley April 1975)
- 12 "Someone Is Calling" (Live at the Keystone, Berkeley April 1975)
- 13 "Many Are Called But Few Get Up" (Live at the Keystone, Berkeley April 1975)
- 14 "Hard Way To Live" (Live at the Keystone, Berkeley April 1975)
For information about releases in other countries, singles, cassettes, 8 track cartridges etc., see The Manband Archive
- Deke Leonard – Guitar, Vocals
- Micky Jones – Guitar, Vocals
- Ken Whaley – Bass
- Terry Williams – Drums, Vocals
- Producer – Man and Anton Mathews
- Production & Special Assistance – David Charles
- Design – Rick Griffin
- Liner Notes – Michael Heatley
- Mixing – Robin Black, David Hamilton-Smith, David Charles
- Strings – Stuart Gordon
- Saxophone – Chris Mercer
- "allmusic ((( Slow Motion > Overview )))". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- Christgau, Robert (March 17, 1975). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice (New York). Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- "Manband Archive - Music". www.manband-archive.com. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Deke Leonard's recollection in sleevenotes to CD release of Slow Motion
- "The Manband Archive". The Manband Archive. Retrieved 2012-03-09.