San Lorenzo High School
|San Lorenzo High School|
|San Lorenzo, California
|Established||January 24, 1950|
|Number of students||1,617|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Newspaper||The Rebel Record|
|Website||San Lorenzo High School Homepage|
San Lorenzo High School, also known as "SLz", is a public high school located in San Lorenzo, California and is part of the San Lorenzo Unified School District. Its crosstown rival is Arroyo High School. The school has recently undergone remodeling and construction of additional classroom facilities.
The school's student body reflects the diversity of its surrounding and nearby communities, namely San Lorenzo, San Leandro, Hayward, and Oakland. As of 2007-2008, demographics from the California Department of Education show that student demographics are, Hispanic-Latino (49%), followed by Black (22%), non-Hispanic White (15%), Asian (4%), Filipino (8%), and Pacific Islander (2%).
San Lorenzo High School includes three academies in partnership with the California Partnership Academies program:
- Green Engineering and Technology (GREEN) - for students interested in careers in engineering, technology or other ecological or green industries. Instructors include Marcela Barajas, Julie Edwards, Alan Fishman, Jane Nikkel, Bob Jackson, Cheryl Morris, Tanny Hoffman, Katie Herrick and Bowe Carter.
- Law Leadership and Culture (LLC) - for students interested in the law, in how societies and language develop and change over time, and about how students impact the world in a positive way. Instructors include Olivia Bauman, Sayuri Shimada, Alyssa Bradley, Nicole Elliot, Andrew Wild and Suzanne Vargas.
- Bay Area Digital Arts (BADA) - an academy which covers all the regular subjects while teaching skills in digital arts. Students participate in various visual/performing arts classes and their learning is enhanced through creativity. Participating instructors include Lance McVay, Joseph Erikson, Anthony Dimanno, Jesse Isaacs, Vandana Makker, Rachel Ahrens, Beth Daly, Jean Alderson, Dana Wickner, Cheryl Morris, Apollo Mulhauser, Carys Steers, and Marianne Nolte.
- San Lorenzo students are also able to enroll in Advanced Placement and Honors courses such as AP Government, AP Calculus, AP US History, and AP English.
- Our school library is open from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on school days and offers students access to thousands of books as well as computers with high-speed internet and printers.
- Annually, after graduation, SLz has a high rate of seniors who go straight into colleges/universities or go straight into the work force.
- In Fall of 2009, San Lorenzo High School transitioned off the 4x4 Block schedule in which students take 80 credits per year, to a 6-period day in which students take 60 credits per year. Therefore, the graduation requirements will be incrementally adjusted over the course of the next four years, 2009-2010 through 2012-2013.
San Lorenzo students participate in a variety of activities/clubs including DECA, Link Crew, Druids, International Club, PenSLZ, GSA, BSU, La Raza Unida, TV&FILM, For the World, and many other student organizations.
Students also participate in many athletics. Fall sports include football, girls' volleyball, girls' tennis and cross country. In the winter, students may participate in basketball and soccer. In the spring, sports offered include baseball, softball, and track & field, and boys' tennis.
News Editor: Timmy Jones
Features Editor: Norell Montgomery
Opinions Editor: Teresa Arriaza
Sports Editor: Zak AlKatib
Entertainment Editor: Chris Tril
Copy Editors: Berenice Abreo
The SLz ASB/Leadership class is divided into two groups: The President's Cabinet and the House of Representatives.
The President's Cabinet or "The Cabinet" focuses on school-wide activities and events. The Cabinet positions are divided into two groups:
ASB Officers: ASB President, ASB Vice President, ASB Secretary, ASB Treasurer, ASB Assistant Treasurer.
Commissioners: Commissioner of Activities, Commissioner of Athletics, Commissioner of Campus Climate, Commissioner of Clubs, Commissioner of Dance, Historian, Commissioner of Publicity, Commissioner of Rallies, Commissioner of Spirit, Commissioners of Sound and Music, and Commissioner of Staff Relations.
The House of Representatives or "The House" focuses on specific grade classes or a SLC (Small Learning Communities).
The positions in the House include: Speaker of the House, Senate President, Senior class administration (President, Vice President, and four Senators), Junior class administration, Sophomore class administration, Freshman class administration and advocate, and SLC representatives (2 BADA, 2 G.E.T., 2 LLC).
The Activities Director and Leadership teacher is Glenna Wurm-Hayenga.
San Lorenzo students also participate in ASB-Associated Student Body to organize events such as dances, rallies and philanthropies such as blood drives.
- Manny Fernandez, former NFL defensive tackle. Two-time Super Bowl champion with the Miami Dolphins
- Nonito Donaire, Boxer, former World Bantamweight Champion
- John Ralston, College Football Hall of Fame Football Head Coach
- Steve Smith, singer
- Jerry Smith, former NFL tight end. Two-time Pro Bowl selection with the Washington Redskins