Smári McCarthy (born 7 February 1984) is an Icelandic/Irish innovator and information activist. He is a board member of the International Modern Media Institute, a co-founder of the Icelandic Digital Freedom Society (FSFÍ) and a participant in the Global Swadeshi movement. He is a founding member of the Icelandic Pirate Party, and stood as their lead candidate in Iceland's southern constituency in the 2013 parliamentary elections. He was the spokesperson and one of the organizers of the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative.
He has spoken at numerous conferences, such as Oekonux, FSCONS, Internet at Liberty and SHARE, as well as having lectured at various universities and summer schools. Common themes include direct or electronic democracy, press freedoms, a critique of industrialization as a centralizing force, and the culture of the Internet.
He proposed the Shadow Parliament Project, a project intending to "crowdsource democracy". The project launched Skuggaþing (Icelandic for "shadow parliament") in early 2010. In 2012 he started the wasa2il software project in order to address shortcomings with existing impementations of Liquid Democracy.
He has written on technology, anarchism, and Icelandic culture at Yaxic.org and Anarchism.is. He is also an active member of the digital fabrication movement, having operated a fab lab in Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland, and worked with Fab Labs elsewhere, including Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
In the summer of 2013, McCarthy cofounded the Free software project Mailpile with two others: Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson and Brennan Novak. The team successfully crowdfunded $163,192. Smári's role in the company is privacy & security.
- Mediating Democracy, in Redvolution: El poder del ciudadano conectado.
- Bergeron's Children, in Despatches from the Invisible Revolution, edited by Keith Kahn-Harris and Dougald Hine.
- Cloud Computing: Legal Issues in Centralized Architectures, with Primavera de Filippi, in Net Neutrality and other challenges for the future of the Internet
- The Future of Information Freedom, in The Future we Deserve, edited by Vinay Gupta
- The End of (artificial) Scarcity, in Free Beer, edited by Stian Rødven Eide
- Islands of Resilience,
- IMMI Staff
- Grapevine: MP To Form Pirate Party
- Grapevine: You Have it All Wrong
- Píratakafteinar í suðurkjördæmi
- New York Times: A Vision of Iceland as a Haven for Journalists
- Personal Web Page - Travel and Events
- McCarthy at Re:Publica
- McCarthy at SKUB with Kristinn Hrafnsson and Annie Machon
- McCarthy at Me Craft/You Industry Symposium
- McCarthy at GoOpen
- "The Social Web and Civil Life". Searcher Magazine, 17.3, March 2009
- The Shadow Parliament Project (blog entry)
- Wasa2il on Github
- Mediando la Democracia, article by Smári McCarthy on Empodera.org
- Fab Lab Vestmannaeyjar
- Fab Lab Jalalabad Annual Report
- Assange 'The World Tomorrow' — guests targeted by the FBI
- Despatches from the Invisible Revolution