Small batch whiskey
Small batch whiskey is a term usually referring to bourbon or rye whiskey, and denotes a whiskey produced by mixing the contents of a relatively small number of selected barrels. Small-batch whiskeys are positioned for the upper-premium market, and are typically aged from six to nine years in oak barrels, but more limited series aged at least up to 23 years are also available. The majority of small batch whiskeys are produced in Kentucky, the state most traditionally associated with whiskey (and especially with bourbon).
There are no federal regulations in the United States as to what defines a "small batch". Many producers of whiskeys labeled as such do not provide a clear indication of what they mean by the term.
- The company that produces Maker's Mark says that the traditional definition is a whiskey produced using "approximately 1,000 gallons or less (20 barrels) from a mash bill of around 200 bushels of grain".
- Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, a producer of bourbon and rye whiskey, uses at most 12 barrels per batch for its small batch brands.
- George Dickel uses "approximately 10 barrels" of whiskey to make batches of Barrel Select Tennessee Whiskey.
- Glen Garioch releases small batch Scotch whisky from time to time. The 1978 Vintage was released as a selection of 1,320 glass 700 ml bottles in 2009. The 1995 Vintage was released with a total run of 1,000 cases.
Brands which bottle from small batches
Brands which advertise as small batch whiskeys include 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Basil Hayden's, Dickel Barrel Select, Glen Garioch Hudson Baby Bourbon, Maker's Mark, Rowan's Creek, and Woodford Reserve.
- Fortune Brands - Jim Beam small batch brands company web site
- "The Beverage Alcohol Manual (BAM) - Chapter 1 Mandatory Label Information, Chapter 4 Class and Type Designation". The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Maker's Mark Bourbon Glossary, official web site.
- Maker's Mark Distillery Tour in Loretto, KY Watch it made in the U.S.A.
- Bourbon – Maker's Mark, Edencroft Fine Wines.
- Ken Miller, In a Willett state of mind at the Freakin’ Frog, Las Vegas Weekly, October 8, 2011.
- "Barrel Select". George A. Dickel & Co. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "1978". Morrison Bowmore Distillers. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Whisky Drinker (14 Jul 2012). "Glen Garioch Release 1995 Small Batch Release". Whisky Drinker. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Sazerac - Barton Brands company web site
- Glen Garioch distillery website
- Tuthilltown Spirits company web site
- Kentucky Bourbon Distillers company web site
|This whisky-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|