|Industry||call center automation solutions, IVR solutions|
|Headquarters||El Segundo, California, USA|
|Key people||Tom Lewis, Chief Executive Officer
Peter Voss, Founder and Chairman of the Board
Tas Dienes, Chief Technology Officer
|Products||artificial intelligence enabled self-service|
SmartAction is a company that provides artificial intelligence enabled voice self-service. SmartAction's Intelligent Voice Automation (IVA) is a hosted IVR platform that uses natural language speech recognition and is based on an object-oriented coding framework.
Developing artificial intelligence has challenged researchers since at least the 1940s. (See History of artificial intelligence.) Part of the problem has been the difficulty of defining an adequate theory of intelligence that can serve as a framework to guide hardware implementations. Starting in the early 1990s Voss developed a new theory of intelligence, outlined in the book Artificial General Intelligence. In 2001, Voss founded an R&D startup, Adaptive AI, Inc., to research and develop a prototype artificial general intelligence system based on his theory of intelligence. In 2009 Voss founded a subsidiary, Smart Action Company, LLC, to commercialize this technology. Born out of Voss' research and development, SmartAction created its first practical application of this new technology focused on the management of inbound and outbound calls for contact centers. Since its inception, SmartAction has continued to develop the technology into a highly specialized and purpose driven AI, identified by the company as Intelligent Voice Automation. 
There are two layers of technology that SmartAction uses in their systems. The first builds on Nuance's recognition engine to create a layer of voice recognition that enables their system to identify open, natural language speech and dialects. Second is a proprietary artificial intelligence brain used to determine the meaning and intent behind spoken words, create conversation with the caller, and monitor systems to learn and improve over time.  The fundamental difference is that AI systems learn naturally the way humans do, and therefore do not need to be programmed. This "[ability] to think, reason and remember, and tackle any subject like a human"  gives systems unprecedented flexibility and upgradeability, enabling learning "on the fly" without expensive programming changes.
SmartAction's CEO, Tom Lewis, delivered the keynote speech at a J.D. Power event regarding the future of artificial intelligence in customer service. Companies are showing particular interest (as evidenced by the recurring topics during the event) in the use of AI to provide self-service for customers, and J.D. Power's invitation to speak at the event indicates AI technologies, such as SmartAction's, will have an impact on the future direction of customer service. 
- Customer Interaction Solutions, 2011 Product of the Year Award 
- Customer Interaction Solutions, 2012 Speech Technology Excellence Award 
- Contact Center World, 2012 Best Technology Innovation 
- TMC, 2014 Product of the Year 
- Stevie Award, 2014 Gold award for IVR or Web Service Solution 
- 2014 M2M Evolution Award 
- Artificial Intelligence
- Interactive voice response
- Speech recognition
- Speech synthesis (text-to-speech (TTS))
- Contact center
- "IVA", Intelligent Voice Automation
- "Company", AdaptiveAI.com. Retrieved on 2009-08-19.
- "El último paso lo ha dado Adaptive AI, que ha presentado el primer sistema artificial de inteligencia. El SmartAction "es un sistema interactivo de respuesta por voz que podrá ser instalado en robots", dice Peter Voss, su creador." Juan Manuel Daganzo Generación Robot; Los investigadores calculan que, en diez o quince años, los robots tendrán capacidades humanas muy desarrolladas 13/03/2009 Publico (Spain)
- Goertzel, Ben, ed. (2007). Artificial General Intelligence (1st ed.). Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-23733-4.
- "Start-Up SmartAction Starts with IVR Release", SpeechTechMag.com 2009-01-12. Retrieved on 2009-08-11.
- "Intelligent Voice Automation", SmartAction.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-06.
- "I'm Sorry, I Can't Connect Your Call, Dave", io9.com 2009-02-08. Retrieved on 2009-09-01.
- "Technology", AdaptiveAI.com. Retrieved on 2009-08-11.
- "Innovation: Artificial brain for sale", NewScientist.com 2009-02-06. Retrieved on 2009-08-11.
- "Adaptive A.I. Inc. launches commercial AGI-based virtual agent for call centers", MachinesLikeUs.com 2009-01-19. Retrieved on 2009-08-11.
- "J.D Power Roundtable of Champions 2014 Agenda", jdpower.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-06.
- "SmartAction CEO Tom Lewis Delivers Keynote Address at the J.D. Power 2014 Contact Center Solutions Roundtable of Champions". BWW Geeks World. 6 May 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "2011 Product of the Year Award". The Business Journals. 10 Jan 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "2012 Speech Technology Excellence Award". gnomes national news service. 13 Aug 2012. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "2012 Best Technology Innovation". Call Miner. 29 June 2012. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "2014 Product of the Year Award". World News. 27 Jan 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- July 2014 "M2M Evolution Award".
- Goertzel, Ben, ed. (2007). Artificial General Intelligence (1st ed.). Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-23733-4. Amazon.com page
- The First Conference on Artificial General Intelligence