Smart Crew is a graffiti crew from Queens, NY, that was formed by SYCO13, MEY (Meyhem Lauren) and LUK around 1997. Throughout the years, the crew has acquired members and has become a collective of various artists including DCEVE, KORN, Action Bronson, NEV1 and MARTY. Their crew logo consists of an Old English style "S" with the image of a graduation cap on top.
Smart Crew was interviewed by the Art of Rolling Magazine and Bombin Magazine. Smart Crew is also known for giving back to NYC by setting up donations boxes during the 2008 holiday season in New York City. They have also contributed to Mass Appeal Magazine, the book "Autograf by Peter Sutherland" (ISBN 1-57687-203-3), and the BET Hip Hop Awards. Overall, their goal is to keep graffiti fun and on the streets. Very rarely would you see any of the members exhibiting their works in a gallery setting.
- Schneiderman, R.M. (2010-05-19). "Mysery Taggers Target British Street Artist Banksy's N.Y. Works". Wall Street Journal.
"The guys at Smart Crew, they're established. They could be marking their territory," Mr. Felisbret said. "It could also be there's some sort of resentment. Banksy is seen by some folks as a sellout...because he's a successful artist."
- "Banksy Gets Dissed". Gothamist.
- Ferrer, Angelo (2009). "Smart Crew". Art of Rolling 7: 48–62.
- "Bombin Magazine". Bombin Magazine 3: 1–3.
- . Time Out NY http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/holidays-in-nyc/70033/fest-augmentation/2.html. Missing or empty
"Graffiti artist collective Smart Crew USA is setting up donation boxes at various locations in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens, and giving out limited-edition gift vouchers/postcards by way of recompense (ask nicely and maybe they’ll tag up your snowman). Donate anything from canned food to video games to fancy hats; all donations will be given to charities of the crew’s choice."