|Type||Private, owned by Microsoft|
|Key people||Egil Kvaleberg CEO|
|Products||Mobile operating system and application suite|
Smarterphone is a company making software for mobile phones. The company was founded in 1993 as Kvaleberg AS, but was renamed to Smarterphone in December 2010. In June 2007, venture capital investor Ferd invested €2 million in the company. By January 2010, further €3.6 million was invested. Nokia completed acquisition of Smarterphone by November 2011. The head office is in Oslo, Norway, but the company also has offices in Taiwan, South Korea, Japan and the United States.
Smarterphone OS 2.2
|Written in||Scheme (UI) and C++ (core)|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Initial release||21 October 2008|
|Platforms||ARM/Qualcomm, ARM/Broadcom, ARM/TI|
|Kernel type||Real-time kernel|
|Default user interface||Graphical touch and/or keypad (ITU or QWERTY)|
The company's main product is Smarterphone OS, which is a platform-independent full mobile phone operating system and applications suite for the feature phone segment. Smarterphone OS, then called Mimiria, was first unveiled at the Mobile World Congress show in February 2008, and has been used for such handsets as the Kyocera C4700, Vibo T588, and the Madrid LiMo device. The Smarterphone architecture is clean-room, with a very strict model-view-controller design that enables variations to be implemented with little effort. The user interface of Smarterphone OS is programmed in a scripting language, which is a variant of Scheme with object-oriented extensions.
Smarterphone OS includes a user interface (MMI) software stack, implementing a full user interface and middleware for 2G and 3G feature phones. It also integrates a range of third-party modules such as Java ME JVM from Oracle Corporation, mobile browser from Obigo, MMS and SMS stack from Mobile Messaging Factory, predictive text input from Nuance and CooTek, and handwriting recognition from Sinovoice.
Nokia Asha platform
Nokia's Asha Platform inherits capabilities from Smarterphone.
- Company registration data From the Norwegian register authority, in Norwegian
- Siving Egil Kvaleberg AS, Bloomberg
- Name change record from the Norwegian register authority
- "Kvaleberg receives EUR 2 million in funding from Ferd Venture", Ferd - Press release 6 June 6, 2007, retrieved 2010-12-10
- "Ferd calls on Smarterphone", RealDeals Europe, retrieved 2011-01-27
- Nokia Acquires Norwegian Mobile OS Company Smarterphone
- "LiMo fights back on Linux for phones as Mozilla signs up". The Guardian. 2008-05-14. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- "LiMo Foundation Members Showcase Next-Generation Handsets, Toolkits, and Applications at MWC 2009", Limo Foundation press release - February 16, 2009, retrieved 2010-12-10
- "Under-the-radar trends at Mobile World Congress: Quantum leap in mobile devices", Vision Mobile blog - Andreas Constantinou, retrieved 2010-12-10