|Platform||Web, iOS, and Android|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish|
|Type||Cloud Based Project Management, Productivity, Collaboration, and Crowdsourcing|
|Founder(s)||Eric Browne, Maria Colacurcio, John Creason, and Brent R. Frei|
|Headquarters||Bellevue, Washington, U.S.|
Its online project management tool works like familiar spreadsheets, but with additional functionality including cloud-capabilities for sharing, attachments, integration with file storage services and Gantt charts.
Smartsheet project and task management software is not targeted at a specific market niche, but rather has customers spanning multiple industries, business functions, and company size. Customers include sporting events like the NFL Super Bowl, technology firms like Google, healthcare organizations such as the Northeast Georgia Medical Center, and educational institutions including secondary and post-secondary institutions. Smartsheet is used by companies in over 160 countries, and is available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian and Russian.
Smartsheet was founded in 2006 by Brent Frei, Chairman; John Creason, CTO; Eric Browne, Chief Product Officer; and Maria Colacurcio. The chief executive officer is Mark Mader, a former senior vice president of global services at Onyx software. Smartsheet's chairman, Brent Frei, is the former chief executive officer of Onyx software.
According to co-founder, Brent Frei, the company nearly failed after the product was initially launched. The team redesigned and relaunched it in 2009. The growth achieved owing to the updated design was strong enough to attract an additional $26 million in funding in December 2012.
Core functionality includes:
- Recording and organization of data
- Unlimited, free collaborators
- Task management
- Notifications, alerts, and emails
- Gantt charts, Web forms, and reports
- File sharing
- Crowdsourcing management
- Resource management
Product Milestones and Integration Timeline
Feb. 2009 – added crowdsourcing via Amazon Mechanical Turk
Mar. 2010 – became available in Google Apps Marketplace
Aug. 2010 – added integration with Zimbra
Aug. 2011 – became available in Salesforce AppExchange
Feb. 2012 – added integration with file storage provider, Box
Aug. 2013 - added integration with file storage provider, Dropbox
Sep. 2013 - enhanced and added mobile applications for Android and iOS operating systems
Sep. 2013 - added integration with cloud integration service, Zapier 
Dec. 2012 – $26 million, led by Insight Venture Partners with Madrona Venture Group.
Sep. 2010 – $1.5 million, led by Madrona Ventures Group.
Jan. 2009 – $1.25 million, led by Madrona Venture Group with Smartsheet Executive Chairman Brent Frei.
Jun. 2007 – $2.69 million, led by Madrona Venture Group.
Awards and Industry Recognition
- Strauss,Karsten "Former Microsoft Analyst Wants To Disrupt MS Excel, Project." Forbes 1. pag. 13 Mar. 2013
- Cook, John "Bellevue startup gets $2.69 million financing deal." Seattle Post-Intelligencer 1. pag. 14 Jun. 2007
- Huang, Gregory "Smartsheet Teams Up With Amazon." Xconomy 1. pag. 12 Feb. 2009
- Burke, Cody "In the briefing room: Smartsheet for Google Apps." Basex 18 Mar. 2010
- Zimbra. Zimbra Integrates with Smartsheet. Web 31 Aug. 2010
- Smartsheet. Smartsheet Launches on Salesforce.com's AppExchange. Web. 16 Aug. 2011
- Endsley,Rikki "Smartsheet Gets Smarter With Box Integration." CMS Wire 3 Feb. 2012
- Boyd, Stowe. "Short takes: Smartsheet integrates with Dropbox and Zapier, Clarizen releases v6". Gigaom Research. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Cook, John "Smartsheet raises $26 million, looks to help teams collaborate more effectively." Geekwire 1. pag. 3 Dec. 2012
- Ha, Anthony "Better productivity through spreadsheets: SmartSheet raises $1.5M." VentureBeat 1. pag. 16 Sep. 2010
- "Smartsheet.com raises $1.25M." Puget Sound Business Journal 1. pag. 15 Jan. 2009
- Nicole, Kristen "SmartSheet Raises $2.69M in Funding." Mashable 1. pag. 14 Jun. 2007
- 2013 http://seattlebusinessmag.com/article/tech-impact-awards-2013-productivity