Smile Like You Mean It
|"Smile Like You Mean It"|
|Single by The Killers|
|from the album Hot Fuss|
"Change Your Mind"
|Released||4 April 2005 (USA)
2 May 2005 (UK)
|Recorded||March - April 2003 @ Cornerstone Studios, Berkeley, California|
|Genre||Post-punk revival, New Wave|
|Label||Island, Lizard King|
|Writer(s)||Brandon Flowers, Mark Stoermer|
|The Killers singles chronology|
"Smile Like You Mean It" is a song by American rock band The Killers. The song is featured on their debut album Hot Fuss, and is the fourth single from it in the United Kingdom and the third single in United States. It was written by lead vocalist Brandon Flowers and bassist Mark Stoermer.
It reached #11 in the UK single chart and #15 in the Billboard U.S. Modern Rock Chart. It also received substantial radioplay in Australia, where it was ranked #39 on Triple J's Hottest 100 of 2004.
The band claims that they wrote the song in 8 minutes.
The song originally featured on the "Mr. Brightside" EP released in September 2003.
The music video for this song shows ghostly figures of the band wandering around a house that the characters of the song presumably used to live in. While Flowers sings to the camera, flashbacks of the old house are shown behind him, including a children's party, a Christmas morning, a high school party, and a funeral. While these extras are oblivious to being watched, at the end they turn to the camera to look at the viewer while the band fades away.
Billboard said the song "seems to deal with coming to terms with growing up and getting older."
Chuck Arnold with People magazine called the song "a sardonic moper worthy of the Smiths." Billboard said the single is "more restrained and downtempo compared with the band's previous hits" but otherwise "pretty upbeat and is awash with soaring new wave synthesizers and 'killer' guitars." In the UK the song was voted at 91 on Absolute Radio's 100 Best Songs of the Decade.
The song was released as a downloadable track for the music video game series Rock Band on November 25, 2008.
UK Translucent Pink 7"
- "Smile Like You Mean It"
- "Get Trashed"
- "Smile Like You Mean It (Ruff & Jam Eastside Mix)"
- "Mr Brightside (Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duke Dub Mix)"
UK Digital Single
- "Smile Like You Mean It (Fischerspooner Remix)"
- "Smile Like You Mean It (Zip Remix)"
- "Smile Like You Mean It"
- "Change Your Mind"
- "Mr Brightside" (The Lindbergh Palace Radio Remix)"
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||47|
|Irish Singles Chart||20|
|UK Singles Chart||11|
|UK Indie Chart||1|
|US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||15|
- Caulfield, Keith; Paoletta, Michael (March 26, 2005), "Smile Like You Mean It". Billboard. 117 (13):29
- Arnold, Chuck 12/6/2004, "Hot Fuss (Music)". People. 62 (23):48
- "Smile Like You Mean It by The Killers". Song of the Decade. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "David Gray - Smile Like You Mean It (Acoustic)". YouTube. 2008-08-30. Retrieved 2012-08-07.