|Region of origin||Netherlands|
|Language(s) of origin||Dutch|
|Related names||De Smet
Frequency of occurrence in general populations
Information for surname frequency in the Netherlands is limited by the end of comprehensive census taking in the year 1971. The most recent readily available information is based on the 1947 census, for which both raw census data and surname frequency data have been made available to the general public. In 1947 there were 29,783 recorded people with the surname Smit, while the general census provides a figure of 9,519,000 as the 1947 population. Working with this data the frequency of the Smit surname in the Netherlands in 1947 can be calculated to be ~0.313% or ~3,130 of every 1,000,000 people. By comparison, the most common Dutch surname in the 1947 data was de Jong, which had a frequency of ~0.580%.
An imperfect comparison can be made to primary English-speaking countries as of 1998 based on research by The National Trust. In 1998, the highest frequency was observed in New Zealand as 97.18 occurrences per million people, or ~1/30th the rate found in the Netherlands of 50 years before. Among the nations examined in the National Trust study, relative frequencies for 1991 were: New Zealand > Australia ≅ Canada ≫ United States > Northern Ireland > Great Britain > Republic of Ireland. The substantial difference between Canada and the United States indicated in this series is approximately 3.5 fold.
- Arie Smit (b. 1916), Dutch-born Indonesian painter
- Carola Smit (b. 1963), Dutch singer
- Floortje Smit (b. 1983), Dutch singer
- de:Gabriël Smit (1910–1981), Dutch poet and journalist
- Gert Smit (1944–1998), South African singer
- Guy Richards Smit (b. 1970), American performance artist
- Howard Smit (1911–2009), American film make-up artist
- Jan Smit (b. 1985), Dutch singer
- Joseph Smit (1836–1929), Dutch zoological illustrator
- Leo Smit (1900–1943), Dutch composer and pianist
- Leo Smit (1921–1999), American composer
- Louise Smit (b. 1940), South African children's writer
- Marianne Smit (b. 1984), Dutch harpist
- Peter Smit (b. 1952), Dutch children's writer and publicist
- Pierre Jacques Smit (1863–1960), Dutch natural history illustrator in England
- Robert Smit (b. 1973), Dutch trans DJ musician
- Wisse Alfred Pierre Smit (1903–1986), Dutch poet and literary historian
- Joke Smit (1933–1981), Dutch feminist and politician
- Michiel Smit (b. 1976), Dutch politician
- Neelie Smit (b. 1941), Dutch politician
- Nicolas Smit (1832–1896), South African Boer general and politician
- Paul Smit (b. 1953), Namibian politician and farmer
- Robert Smit (1933–1977), South African economist and politician
- Alexander Smit (b. 1985), Dutch baseball player
- Anika Smit (b. 1986), South African high jumper
- Arij Smit (1907–1970), Dutch boxer
- de:Arjan Smit (b.1978), Dutch inline-skater
- Arvid Smit (b. 1980), Dutch footballer
- Daryn Smit (b. 1984), South African cricketer
- David Smit (b. 1976), English cricketer
- Ettiene Smit (b. 1974), South African strongman
- Gretha Smit (b. 1976), Dutch speedskater
- Jan Smit (b. 1983), Dutch footballer
- Jane Smit (b. 1972), English cricketer
- John Smit (b. 1978), South African rugby player
- Julia Smit (b. 1987), American swimmer
- Kick Smit (1911–1974), Dutch footballer
- Klaas Smit (1930–2008), Dutch footballer
- Maaike Smit (b. 1966), Dutch wheelchair tennis player
- Marjan Smit (b. 1975), Dutch sotfball player
- Marnix Smit (b. 1975), Dutch footballer
- Minouche Smit (b. 1975), Dutch swimmer
- Peter Smit (1961–2005), Dutch martial artist
- Riaan Smit (b. 1984), South African rugby player
- Roelof Smit (b. 1993), South African rugby player
- Sylvia Smit (b. 1986), Dutch footballer
- Theo Smit (b. 1951), Dutch road bicycle racer
- Yasemin Smit (b. 1984), Dutch waterpolo player
- Bart Smit (b. 1940), Dutch toy store owner
- Fop Smit (1777–1866), Dutch naval architect, shipbuilder, and shipowner
- Jan Smit (b. c. 1940), Dutch theoretical physicist
- nl:Johannes Olav Smit (1883–1972), Dutch Roman Catholic bishop
- Jörgen Smit (1916–1991), Norwegian teacher and writer
- Lou Smit (1935–2010), American police detective
- Mabel Wisse Smit (b. 1968), Dutch widow of Prince Friso of Orange Nassau
- Nimue Smit (b. 1992), Dutch fashion model
- Theo M. Smit (b. 1975), Dutch chemist
- Tim Smit (b. 1954), Dutch-born British businessman
- Willem Smit (b. 1935), South African Cold War spy
- Arie Jan Haagen-Smit (1900–1977), Dutch chemist
- Christian Reus-Smit (b. 1961), Australian international relations scholar
- Sianoa Smit-McPhee (b. 1992), Australian actress
- Kodi Smit-McPhee (b. 1996), Australian actor
- Citation: Schulze, 2008
- Citation: Life Courses in Context. Project Plan.
- Citation: Meertens Institute: Smit.
- Citation: Dutch Census Digitization 1795-1971 Project.
- (29,783/9,519,000)*100%; 1% = 1,000 occurrence per 1,000,000 people.
- Citation: Meertens Institute: Jong, de.
- Citation: Longley, et al., 2008.
- Dutch Census Digitization 1795-1971 Project. "Hoofdstuk II. het totale bevolkingscijfer" (Scanned page image). Dutch Censuses 1795-1971 (in Dutch). Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (through DANS Institute and in collaboration with NWO). pp. page 13. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- "Life Courses in Context. Project Plan. Section B: Census data". International Institute of Social History. 2007-06-28. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- Longley, Paul; Alex Singleton, Richard Webber and Daryl Lloyd. "Smit". SPLINT Project, University College London. The National Trust. Retrieved 2008-03-05. Note that the full URL is http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Statistics.aspx?name=SMIT&year=1998&altyear=1881&country=GB&type=name , but use of any url except the base included here seldom properly resolves.
- Meertens Institute. "Jong, de". Nederlandse Familienamen Databank (in Dutch). Meertens Institute. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- Meertens Institute. "Smit". Nederlandse Familienamen Databank (in Dutch). Meertens Institute. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- Schulze, Lorine McGinnis (2008-03-04). "Dutch Patronymics of the 1600s". New Netherland, New York Genealogy. Olive Tree Genealogy. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Smit. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|