Smithfield Historic District (Virginia)
Smithfield Historic District
Thomas House (1889), Smithfield Historic District, June 2010
|Location||Roughly bounded by Pagan River, Little Creek, and town line, Smithfield, Virginia|
|Area||200 acres (81 ha)|
|Built by||Rand, William|
|Architectural style||Georgian, Romanesque, Federal|
|NRHP Reference #||73002022|
|Added to NRHP||July 2, 1973|
|Designated VLR||February 20, 1973|
Smithfield Historic District is a national historic district located at Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, Virginia. It encompasses 289 contributing buildings and 2 contributing structures in the historic downtown and surrounding residential areas of Smithfield. There are 211 houses, 37 commercial buildings, 1 warehouse, 4 churches, 10 barns, 1 smokehouse, 23 garages, 1 farm office, 1 colonial kitchen, and 2 corncrib structures. Notable buildings include the original county clerk's office (1799), county jail, Wentworth-Barrett House (c. 1752), Wentworth-Grinnan House (c. 1780), King-Atkinson House (c. 1800), Smith-Morrison House (1770s), Hayden Hall (c. 1810, c. 1846), Boykin House (c. 1876), Goodrich House (1886), Thomas House (1889), Smithfield Academy (1827), Christ Episcopal Church (1832, 1892), and Hill Street Baptist Church (1923). Located in the district and separately listed are the Old Isle of Wight Courthouse, Smithfield Inn, Windsor Castle Farm, and P. D. Gwaltney, Jr., House.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Nancy Born (April 1990). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Smithfield Historic District" (PDF). Virginia Department of Historic Resources. and Accompanying photo and Accompanying map
- Smithfield Isle of Wight Tourism Bureau Walking Guide of Smithfield Historic District
- Isle of Wight County Courthouse, Main & Mason Streets, Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, VA: 3 photos at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Barrett House, South Church Street, Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, VA: 5 photos and 2 data pages at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Grove Hotel, Mason Street, Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, VA: 3 photos at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Small Brick Office, Mason & Main Streets, Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, VA: 1 photo at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Mason's Hall, Mason Street, Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, VA: 1 photo and 5 data pages at Historic American Buildings Survey