Smithfield Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Smithfield Township, Ohio|
|— Township —|
|• Total||37.7 sq mi (97.6 km2)|
|• Land||37.5 sq mi (97.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||971 ft (296 m)|
|• Density||95.3/sq mi (36.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086384|
Smithfield Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,578 people in the township, 1,804 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wayne Township - north
- Wells Township - northeast
- Warren Township - southeast
- Mount Pleasant Township - south
- Short Creek Township, Harrison County - southwest
- Green Township, Harrison County - northwest
Several populated places are located in Smithfield Township:
- Part of the village of Adena, in the southwest
- Part of the village of Dillonvale, in the southeast
- The village of Smithfield, in the northeast
- The unincorporated community of Greentown, in the east
- The unincorporated community of Piney Fork, in the center
Name and history 
It is the only Smithfield Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.