|Traded as||LSE: NWS|
|Founded||London, United Kingdom (2006)|
|Products||Newspapers and magazines|
|Revenue||£1,187 million GBP (2005) |
Smiths News plc is a British newspaper and magazine distributor, based in Swindon, England. The company, previously known as 'WHSmith News' was created on 1 September 2006 from the demerger of W H Smith plc.
Smiths News delivers to 22,000 customers via its 46 distribution centres across the United Kingdom. It employs 4,312 people and has sales of £1,067 million. Its main competitors are Menzies Distribution.
On 12 April 2006, the board of WH Smith PLC announced its intention to demerge the retail and news distribution arms of the business into two separate companies. The resulting companies are W H Smith PLC (continues as the retail arm), and Smiths News PLC (former news distribution arm). The demerger took effect on 30 August 2006.
- Smiths News: key financials — Smiths News. Viewed online, 8 October 2006.
- Smiths News: about us — Smiths News. Viewed online, 8 October 2006.
- Separation of W H Smith Retail and News Distribution businesses via a Demerger — W H Smith PLC. Viewed online, 8 October 2006.
- Norwich Evening News 20 March 2009
- Letter from Ernst & Young dated 26 March 2009
|This article about a retailer in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|