|Launched||September 26, 2007|
|Owned by||Smithsonian Institution
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
(Downgraded to 16:9 480i for SDTV)
|Slogan||It's Brighter Here|
|Broadcast area||United States and Canada|
The Movie Channel
|Available on some cable systems||Check local listings for channels|
|Verizon FiOS||634 (HD)|
|AT&T U-verse||1118 (HD)
Smithsonian Networks is a joint venture between CBS Corporation's Showtime Networks and the Smithsonian Institution. The service consists of Smithsonian Channel, Smithsonian On Demand, and smithsonianchannel.com.
The network’s content is inspired by the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research facilities and magazines – and features original non-fiction programming that covers a wide range of historical, scientific and cultural subjects. On September 26, 2007, the Smithsonian Channel HD began airing on DirecTV's new HD lineup. Dish Network added the HD channel on May 12, 2008. Dish Network has since dropped the Smithsonian Channel HD from their programming line up effective February 1, 2009.
In 2010, Smithsonian Networks entered into an agreement with Comcast for broadcast of the channel until 2020. An initial air date has not been given.
Smithsonian Networks is also available on Time Warner Cable, AT&T U-verse and Charter Communications in high definition and standard definition and on Verizon FiOS, Mediacom, and Century Link's Prism as part of their Premium and Preferred packages. It is also available from On Demand in both high definition and standard definition.
- Aerial America showcases each of the 50 states from the air, with special episodes devoted to small towns, the wilderness, etc;. Narrated by Jim Conrad.
- Soul Revolution hosted by Morgan Freeman premiered November 16, 2008.
- Season two of Stories from the Vaults starring Tom Cavanagh premiered July 12, 2009.
- Mystery of the Hope Diamond - On August 19, 2009, the Smithsonian Institution announced that the Hope Diamond is to get a temporary new setting to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Harry Winston's donation of the gem stone to the National Museum of Natural History. Starting in September, the 45.52-carat (9.104 g) diamond will be exhibited as a stand-alone gem with no setting. From August 19, 2009 through September 7, 2009, the public is being invited to vote online for their favorite Harry Winston designed setting, at SmithsonianChannel.com/hope. The winning setting will be announced this fall and the gem will be shown in the setting starting in May, along with a Smithsonian Networks documentary.
- Soul of a People: Writing America's Story - A National Endowment for the Humanities-funded documentary about the Federal Writers' Project featuring interviews with notable project alumni Studs Terkel, Stetson Kennedy, and American historian Douglas Brinkley. Premiered September 6, 2009.
- MLK: The Assassination Tapes produced by 1895 FILMS for Smithsonian Channel premiered on February 12, 2012 and received a Peabody Award. The winner's citation for the Peabody Award describes the documentary as "[p]ainstakingly configured from rare footage collected at the University of Memphis in 1968...leading up to the murder of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and its aftermath."
- Terror in the Skies examines problems in commercial airline flights,
- Air Warriors is an upcoming series covering the F-15 Eagle, the V-22 Osprey, and the AH-64 Apache and the stories of the dedicated pilots and teams who fly and maintain these ultimate air warriors. It is set to premiere on November 9th, 2014.
- Ways to Watch Smithsonian Channel
- Roku Channel Store
- Apple TV Adds Apps for Vevo, Weather Channel, Disney, and Smithsonian Channel
- Smithsonian Channel - Aerial America
- Tom Cavanagh Is the Inside Man for the 'Vaults' Job, July 12, 2009
- Hope Diamond to get new setting for Anniversary, August 19, 2009[dead link]
- 72nd Annual Peabody Awards, May 2013.
- MLK: The Assassination Tapes (Smithsonian Channel), November 26, 2013.
- Arrow Media, Humans at Helm: Is Any Flight Safe?, Neil Genzlinger, New York Times, 27 September 2013
- The Futon Critic, Smithsonian Channel(TM) to Premiere "Terror in the Skies" Sunday, September 29 at 8PM ET/PT, 16 September 2013
- National Geographic Channel - International, Terror in the Skies