Smoke Rings in the Dark (song)
|"Smoke Rings in the Dark"|
|Single by Gary Allan|
|from the album Smoke Rings in the Dark|
|B-side||"Right Where I Need to Be"|
|Released||August 9, 1999|
|Gary Allan singles chronology|
"Smoke Rings in the Dark" is a song written by Rivers Rutherford and Houston Robert, and recorded by American country music artist Gary Allan. It was released in August 1999 as the first single and title track from the album of the same name. The song peaked at number 12 on the U.S. country chart in February 2000 and at number 5 in Canada. It also peaked at number 76 on the Hot 100. It is Allan's highest peaking single in Canada.
The song deals with the pain of unrequited love. The narrator states that all he will leave his significant other like "smoke rings in the dark."
Chuck Taylor, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably saying that "the production, songwriting, and performance combine to create a record that leaves a stunning impression." Taylor calls Allan's performance "wonderfully nuanced" and saying that the production has a "decidedly retro feel."
The music video was directed by Chris Rogers.
"Smoke Rings in the Dark" debuted at number 71 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the chart week of August 14, 1999.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||76|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||66|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 21–22. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Billboard, August 14, 1999
- "RPM Country Tracks." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. February 7, 2000. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Gary Allan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Gary Allan.
- "Gary Allan Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Gary Allan.
- "Best of 2000: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2000. Retrieved August 16, 2012.