Smoke a Little Smoke
|"Smoke a Little Smoke"|
|Single by Eric Church|
|from the album Carolina|
|Released||June 21, 2010|
|Eric Church singles chronology|
"Smoke a Little Smoke" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Eric Church. it was released in June 2010 as the third single from his album Carolina. It is also the eighth single of his career, and the sixth to reach Top 20 on Hot Country Songs. Church wrote the song with Jeff Hyde and Driver Williams.
Karlie Justus of The 9513 gave the song a "thumbs-up", saying that it "puts Church’s bravado posturing to good use." She also praised the song's production, saying that it "makes no attempts to temper the song’s spot-on snapshot of trying to lose one’s self[…]in an effort to awkwardly make the project 'country.'" In his review of the album, Slant Magazine reviewer Jonathan Keefe said that the song had "an interesting rhythm track[…]that actually reinforce[s] the tones." Country Standard Time reviewer Jeffrey B. Remz called it a "stark [reminder] that Church is making a valiant attempt to rekindle the outlaw movement."
Church began filming the song's music video in July 2010. The video includes Church driving vintage cars at Clarksville Speedway, and includes a cameo from NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne. Of the video, Church said that he wanted to "show something[…] that [the fans] haven't seen before." The video was directed by Peter Zavadil.
"Smoke a Little Smoke" first charted in mid-2009 as an album cut, spending one week at number 57 on the Hot Country Songs charts. In June 2010, it re-entered the same chart also at number 57.The song was a minor Top 20.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Billboard Hot 100||78|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||79|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Justus, Karlie (23 June 2010). "Eric Church — "Smoke a Little Smoke"". The 9513. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Keefe, Jonathan (20 March 2009). "Carolina review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Remz, Jeffrey B. "Carolina review". Country Standard Time. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Phillips, Jessica (16 August 2010). "Eric Church Gets Smoked: It's fast cars and haze for days in Eric Church's video for "Smoke a Little Smoke."". Country Weekly 17 (33): 50–51. ISSN 1074-3235.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Eric Church. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Eric Church Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Eric Church. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Canadian single certifications – Eric Church – Smoke a Little Smoke". Music Canada. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Eric Church – Smoke a Little Smoke". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 4, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH