Smokey Mountain is the term coined for a large landfill located in Manila, Philippines. The area was cleared decades ago and became the site of numerous public housings for the impoverished people living in the slums surrounding the landfill. The slums were also cleared, which was the home of 30,000 people that make their living from picking through the landfill's rubbish.
Smokey Mountain operated for more than 40 years, consisting of over two million metric tons of waste. The flammable substances on decomposing waste led to numerous fires which has resulted in many deaths.
In 1993, a joint venture agreement between the National Housing Authority (NHA) and R-II Builders Inc. (RBI) was made to build a low-cost housing project at Smokey Mountain. On 15 August 2007, this agreement was declared valid by the Philippine Supreme Court.
Projects have been enforced by the Government and non-government organizations to allow urban resettlement sites for the slum dwellers. According to a UN-Habitat report, over 20 million people in the Philippines live in slums, and in the city of Manila alone, 50% of the over 11 million inhabitants live in slum areas.
- "Smokey Mountain Remediation and Development Project: Philippines". Poverty Environment Partnership. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Medina, Martin (2007). The world's scavengers : salvaging for sustainable consumption and production. Lanham, MD [u.a.]: AltaMira Press. p. 189. ISBN 0759109419.
- Torres, Tetch (15 August 2007). "SC upholds Smokey Mountain contract between NHA, R-II". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- http://www.dailyherald.com/special/philippines/part1.asp[dead link]
- Salazar, Teresa (30 June 2007). "High transaction costs, rent control linked to RP slums". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- http://home.earthlink.net/~lordprozen/PUF/bahang/state.html#ref4[dead link]
- Cruz, Prince Christian (10 July 2008). "Housing Sales and Rental Markets in Asia". Global Property Guide. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
|This waste-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Philippine location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|