|Slogan||Your Relaxing Music Mix|
Channel 728 (Freesat)
Channel 718 (Freeview)
Channel 0128 (Sky)
Channel 916 (UPC Ireland)
Channel 916 (Virgin Media)
|First air date||26 March 2007|
|Audience share||1.4% (December 2009, )|
|Sister stations||Capital London
LBC News 1152
Smooth London is a regional radio station owned by operated by Global Radio as part of the Smooth radio network. It broadcasts to the Greater London area from studios in Leicester Square, London. It replaced 102.2 Smooth FM on 26 March 2007.
GMG Radio ownership
The station launched on 4 March 1990 as Jazz FM, playing mainly soul and jazz music. It was relaunched in June 2005 as 102.2 Smooth FM, playing middle of the road music, soul and R&B during the day and, as part of its licence requirements, focused on jazz music at night. On 20 October 2006, GMG Radio announced that it was requesting a change of format for 102.2 Smooth FM from Ofcom, moving the station away from its daytime soul and R&B remit which had, until that point, formed an integral part of the licence. GMG proposed an easy listening music service mixed with speech for the over 50s, coupled with an improved local news service. Ofcom approved the changes on 8 December 2006, with the condition that GMG retained the 45 hours of jazz per week that constituted part of the former licence requirement.
Paul Chantler was appointed by GMG to be full-time programme consultant to the station from 14 January 2008 for one year, working with the existing programming team to develop the sound of the station.
In March 2008, GMG requested a format change to remove the 45 hour jazz commitment it has in place for 102.2 Smooth Radio. Part of the plans included a relaunch of Jazz FM from the jazzfm.com service (at the time broadcasting on DAB in Glasgow and online) onto a DAB multiplex in London. In a meeting on 22 April 2008 Ofcom denied GMG's request to drop its jazz commitments. GMG, under licence to The Local Radio Company relaunched Jazz FM despite the decision.
On 6 October 2008 Smooth Radio was removed from the MXR Wales and West multiplex to allow for the relaunch of Jazz FM. Although initially, Real Radio was removed, Smooth Radio was removed and Real restored on the multiplex. It replaced Jazz FM in South Wales and returned to DAB.
In 2010 GMG announced that it would be merging its five Smooth stations in England to create a nationwide Smooth Radio service based in Manchester. The new station was launched on 4 October 2010 and could be heard both on DAB and on the locally on the FM frequencies.
Global Radio ownership
Smooth Radio's output was relocated to new owner Global Radio's Leicester Square headquarters from 1 October 2013, a move that coincided with a major overhaul of its schedule, and the closure of Smooth 70s after 21 months on air.
On 4 February 2014, the Radio Today website reported that Ofcom had given Global Radio permission to remove Smooth from the Digital One platform, and to replace it with a service playing music from the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Under this agreement, Smooth would continue to broadcast on its regional frequencies, but would be required to provide seven hours of local output per day.
Current notable presenters
- Listening Figures - Quarterly Listening RAJAR
- Smooth requests Format change Radio Today, 20 October 2006
- Format Change Request Form OfW 332 (Smooth FM) Ofcom, 20 October 2006
- "102.2 Smooth Radio (London) and 100.4 Smooth Radio (North-West England) - Request to Change Station Formats" (pdf). Ofcom. 14 March 2008.
- "Smooth Radio (London and North-West) Formats Change - Request Denied". Ofcom. 23 April 2008.
- "Ofcom say no to Smooth". Radio Today. 23 April 2008. Retrieved 14 June 2008.
- "Digital Radio Updates". Frequency Finder. September 2008. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Global welcomes Smooth Radio to London HQ". Radio Today. 3 October 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Smooth Radio 70s to close after 21 months". Radio Today. 3 October 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Smooth Radio to be removed from Digital 1". Radio Today. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2014.