The J.M. Smucker Company
|Type||Public company (NYSE: SJM)
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||Orrville, Ohio, United States|
|Key people||Jerome Monroe Smucker, founder|
|Products||Fruit spreads, ice cream toppings, coffee, health and natural foods, beverages, shortening, natural peanut butter.|
The J. M. Smucker Company is an American manufacturer of fruit spreads, ice cream toppings, beverages, shortening, natural peanut butter, and other products in North America. Smucker's headquarters are located in Orrville, Ohio, U.S..
The Smucker Company was founded by Jerome Monroe Smucker. The company produces many types of jellies, jams, and other food items. Jerome was born on December 5, 1858 in Orrville Ohio. Much of his life was spent as a farmer in Orville. In 1897 Jerome built a cider mill that was located in Orrville. Fruit that was used was from trees that Johnny Appleseed had planted in the early nineteenth century. Apple cider was made at the mill and so was apple butter. Smucker's was founded in 1897 by Jerome Monroe Smucker, who sold his first product, apple butter, from the back of a horse-drawn wagon. The company was incorporated in 1921.
The J. M. Smucker Company is a marketer and manufacturer of fruit spreads, peanut butter, shortening and oils, ice cream toppings, sweetened condensed milk, and health and natural foods and beverages. J.M. Smucker company brands include Smucker's, Santa Cruz Organic, Jif, Laura Scudder's, Crisco, Pillsbury, Eagle Brand, R.W. Knudsen Family, Hungry Jack, White Lily, and Martha White in the United States, along with Bick's, Five Roses, Robin Hood, and Shirriff in Canada.
The J. M. Smucker Company has been headquartered in Orrville, Ohio, since its founding, and has been family-run for four generations. Since 1998, the company has appeared on FORTUNE Magazine's annual listing of the "100 Best Companies to Work For in the United States", ranking number one in 2004.
In May 2008, Smucker's announced it had bought the food division of Knott's Berry Farm from ConAgra Foods, but not the theme park, which Cedar Fair owns. On June 4, 2008, Smucker's announced it would purchase the Folgers coffee brand division from Procter & Gamble for $3.3 billion. Completion of the sale was announced on November 6, 2008.
Throughout 2012, Smucker's contributed $485,000 to a $46-million political campaign known as the "Coalition Against The Costly Food Labeling Proposition, sponsored by Farmers and Food Producers". This organization was set up to oppose a citizen's initiative, known as Proposition 37, demanding mandatory labeling of foods containing genetically modified ingredients. About 70% of the funding for the initiative was provided by a PAC and by companies with financial interests in the organic foods industry, with most of the remainder coming from a handful of wealthy individuals. Following rejection of the proposition in the November 2012 referendum, organizers called for a boycott of companies funding the campaign to defeat the referendum.
On August 6, 2014, Smuckers announced they are buying Sahale Snacks.
Past and present slogans
- "With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good!"
- "Smucker will make you pucker!"
- "If you find a better jelly, you buy it!"
- "Smucker Company, the brand you can trust"
- "There ain't no place like Smucker's!"
- "The only brand of jams that can make a piece of bread lively!"
- "If you're hungry, Smucker's is the way to go!"
- "Smucker's may be yummy, your tummy may be too, but your grocer's freezer, is not far from you!"
- "Bread, jam and jelly, in your belly, lick your spoon and cut your bread, then you will be Smucker's well fed"
- Jam, jelly, and preserves
- Dickinson's Gourmet Preserves
- King Kelly Orange Marmalade
- Fruit Butter
- Low Sugar
- Simply Fruit
- Sugar Free
- Peanut butter
- Ice cream toppings
- Specialty items
- Oils and shortening
- Flour and baking mixes
- Juices, beverages, and sauces (natural and organic)
- After the Fall
- Natural Brew (Real Brew in Canada)
- R.W. Knudsen Family (also apple butter and cranberry sauce)
- Santa Cruz Organic (also peanut butter, chocolate and caramel sauce, and applesauces)
- Tenderleaf Tea (from the makers of Folgers)
- Coffee products
- Mary Ellen (jams and jellies)
- Dickinson's (gourmet preserves and jellies)
- Knudsen & Sons (fruit and vegetable juices)
- Good Morning (marmalade) (Canada)
- Shirriff (dessert toppings and marmalades) (Canada)
- Laura Scudder (peanut butter)
- After the Fall (juices)
- Adams (peanut butter)
- Jif (peanut butter)
- Crisco (oils)
- International Multifoods Corporation
- White Lily Brand (flour products)
- Sara Lee North American foodservice coffee and tea operations (coffee products)
- Sealed crustless sandwich, a patented Smucker product
- Reverse Morris trust, an acquisition method favored by Smucker.
-  100 Best Companies to Work For 2008: J. M. Smucker snapshot
- "The J.M. Smucker Company". Smuckers.com. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Smucker Company Timeline
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to work for 2004 list
- Smucker's to buy Folgers coffee
- "The Marketing Doctor Says: Smuckers Buys Folgers" Marketing Doctor Blog. June 6, 2008.
- The J. M. Smucker Company Announces Completion of Folgers Merger
- "Who's Funding Prop 37, Labeling for Genetically Engineered Foods? | Propositions | Elections 2012". KCET. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "California Secretary of State — CalAccess — Campaign Finance". Cal-access.sos.ca.gov. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Breaking News: Corporations Stab Organic Consumers in the Back — Familiar Brands Funding Attack and Consumers Right to GMO Labeling | Cornucopia Institute". Cornucopia.org. 2012-08-16. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Chico News & Review — Follow the money — Feature Story — Local Stories — December 13, 2012".
- "ANH calls for international boycott of Prop 37 NO campaign companies". Anh-europe.org. 2012-11-14. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "The J. M. Smucker Company to Acquire Sahale Snacks, Inc., a Leader in Premium, Branded Nut and Fruit Snacks". Businessweek. August 6, 2014. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "SPC to acquire IXL for $51 m". The Age (www.theage.com.au). 2004-05-12. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- International Multifoods Shareholders Approve Merger With The J.M. Smucker Company
- Eagle Family Foods
- Why Did Food Maker Leave California?
- J. M. Smucker Company Acquires Knott's Berry Farm(R) Food Brand From ConAgra
- J.M. Smucker acquires Montreal-based Europe's Best
- "Sitemap - Millstone Coffee". Millstone.com. 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Cuban Coffee Brand May Pour Into Mainstream". NPR. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- [dead link]
- J.M. Smucker Co. Corporate website