|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Labels||Half A Cow Records
|Past members||Paul Duncan
Smudge was formed in 1991, initially only to contribute a song, "Tea, Toast & Turmoil", to the 1991 Half A Cow 7" compilation, Slice (along with Swirl, Jupiter and Studley Lush). The band went on to record a 7" single, "Don't Want To Be Grant McLennan", which was soon made John Peel's record of the week. On the back of this success, several more releases followed, then in 1994 bassist Paul 'Duncs' Duncan left the band to complete his business studies degree and was replaced by bassist, Adam Yee (ex-Headache).
During 1997-1998 the band had two guitars in line-up - Pete Kelly (ex-Disneyfist, Sea Life Park, Decoder Ring) joined the band on second guitar and helped record the album, Real McCoy, Wrong Sinatra.
From late October 1999 till 2002 the band went on an extended hiatus while drummer Alison Galloway went trekking across the world. She joined Her Name in Lights, which issued their debut album, Into the Light Again, in October 2004, but she had already left that band before it appeared.
The band re-united for a limited number of performances in Sydney and Melbourne at the end of 2004. In October 2008 they again performed together at the inaugural Sounds of Spring Festival in Brisbane which was followed by two performances in Melbourne the following weekend. In November and December 2010 they supported The Lemonheads on an Australian tour playing all thirteen songs from the 1992 album It's a Shame about Ray, plus a selection of songs from other albums. Tom Morgan and Alison Galloway played with Dando in the encore performance of The Outdoor Type. Smudge performed as part of the lineup for the 2011 Big Day Out Festival in Sydney, Australia.
- Manilow - Half A Cow/Domino/Shake (1994)
- You, Me, Carpark...Now! - Half A Cow (1996)
- Mo' Poontang - Half A Cow (1997)
- Real McCoy, Wrong Sinatra - Half A Cow (1998)
- Manilow 2cd Reissue - Half A Cow (2006)
- This Smudge Is True - Half A Cow (2010)
- Love, Lust & Lemonjuice - Half A Cow (1992)
- Superhero - Half A Cow/Domino (1993)
- Hot Smoke and Sassafras - Half A Cow/Domino/Shake/100 Guitar Mania (1994)
- Big City Poontang - Half A Cow (1995)
- Mike Love Not War - Half A Cow (1996)
- Impractical Joke - Half A Cow/Domino/Shake (1994)
- Slight Return EP - Half A Cow (1996)
- Eighteen In A Week - Half A Cow (1999)
- "Don't Want To Be Grant McLennan" - Half A Cow (1991) (7")
- "Don't Want To Be Grant McLennan" - Shock UK (1992) (7" EP)
- "Leroy de Foix" - Half A Cow (1992) (promotional 7")
- "The Outdoor Type" - Domino (1993) (12"/cd)
- "Desmond" 7 - The Bus Stop Label, USA (1994) (7")
- "Hot Potato (demo version)" - Blind (1998) (split 7")
- HAC: Smudge. Retrieved 31 May 2007.
- McFarlane, Ian (1999). "Encyclopedia entry for 'Smudge'". Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop. St Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 1-86508-072-1. Retrieved 2009-04-22.