|Type of site||Image Hosting Service|
|Registration||Not required for viewing|
|Owner||Chris and Don MacAskill|
|Alexa rank||1,952 (September 2012[update])|
Chris MacAskill (father) and Don MacAskill (son) started the original company to build a new video game-oriented web service in February 2002. By August 2002, though, their focus shifted. A small portion of their video game website was spun into a photo sharing service called SmugMug, which launched in November 2002.
||This section appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2012)|
SmugMug is not free. There are three levels of membership: Standard, Power, and Pro.
Standard Member 
- Priced at $5/month or $40/year 
- Unlimited Photos & Traffic 
- Privacy & Security Controls 
- Max file size of 50MB (jpg, gif, png) 
- No Ads 
- Custom smugmug.com subdomain
- Gallery/Site Passwords 
- Option to disable downloading/printing 
- Share via Twitter, Facebook, friendfeed & tumblr 
- Send HTML emails with photos embedded 
- A published API which allows programmers to create new functionality.
- Detailed Traffic Statistics 
- XML-based RSS and Atom feeds.
- An email upload interface to allow camera phones to upload images.
- Keyword tagging for searching and categorization of photos.
- Enables Google Maps integration for geotagged photographs
- Viewers can 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down' photos to select the most popular photos using PhotoRank.
- Upload from Add photos from Lightroom, Picasa, iPhoto, Aperture, iPhones, and other software packages 
- Prints can be ordered from SmugMug EZ Prints (available to all account types) and Bay Photo (available for Pro members only).
Power Member 
- Priced at $8/month or $60/year
- All the features of a Standard membership included
- Unlimited number of video upload in Full HD (up to 1080p in quality and 20 minutes in length). The maximum file size allowed for any video is 3GB.
- Link with your own domain instead of SmugMug subdomain
- Right-click image protection to prevent users from right clicking and saving file
Pro Member 
- Priced at $20/month or $150/year
- All the features of a Power membership included
- Users can sell their photos and videos (in print or digitally) at their own price
- The photographer gets 85% of the markup over the base photo price.
- Create custom coupons for promotions
- Create custom single and multi-image packages
- Add local sales tax to orders if your state requires it
- Collect profits via direct deposit (US members) or PayPal (International members) 
- Can add custom watermarks to images 
Privacy and security 
SmugMug has options to allow control over the privacy and security of published photos. They have support for both account-level and gallery-level passwords, as well as hidden galleries.
There is also a friends and family social networking interface for members of the service to use, which allows sharing of photos limited to people known to the publisher.
Professional services 
In conjunction with their print service, SmugMug has created a service aimed at professional photographers. Professional accounts have the ability to add custom watermarks to their photos. They can also sell prints and digital downloads of their photos through the SmugMug interface with their own pricing.
See also 
- "Smugmug.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- "Smugmug.com Feature List". SmugMug. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- http://www.smugmug.com/prints/digital-prints.mg here
- "Smugmug.com Video Details and Specs". SmugMug. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Smugmug.com Pro Features". SmugMug. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- MacAskill, Chris. "The Inspiring Story Of The Man Behind SmugMug And FatBrain – with Chris MacAskill".