|Type of site||Image Hosting Service|
|Registration||Not required for viewing|
|Owner||Chris and Don MacAskill|
|Alexa rank||2,216 (March 2014[update])|
SmugMug is a paid digital photo sharing website, which allows users to upload both HD photos and videos to their SmugMug sites. Launched in 2002, the company focuses on both amateur, as well as professional photographers - offering a toolset which facilitates the selling of digital and print media.
SmugMug was founded by father and son Chris and Don MacAskill.
- "They started on a shoestring budget in 2002, not moving into real offices in Mountain View, Calif., until April. Before that, the MacAskills and their employees set up shop in the five-bedroom home of Chris and his wife, Toni. Engineers bunked two to a bedroom. Blow dryers and vacuums routinely blew circuit breakers. Barking yellow Labrador retrievers chased tennis balls up and down the stairs."
||This section appears to be written like an advertisement. (December 2013)|
SmugMug offers four different account levels, each with a different subset of features
Privacy and security
SmugMug has options to allow control over the privacy and security of published photos. They have support for both account-level and gallery-level passwords, as well as hidden galleries.
There is also a friends and family social networking interface for members of the service to use, which allows sharing of photos limited to people known to the publisher.
In conjunction with their print service, SmugMug has created a service aimed at professional photographers. Professional accounts have the ability to add custom watermarks to their photos. They can also sell prints and digital downloads of their photos through the SmugMug interface with their own pricing.
- "Smugmug.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- "A focused family business". LA times. Retrieved 24 December 2007.
- SmugMug. "Plans at a Glance". SmugMug.com. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- MacAskill, Chris. "The Inspiring Story Of The Man Behind SmugMug And FatBrain – with Chris MacAskill".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SmugMug.|