|Peter Taunton, CEO|
Snap Fitness is a privately owned and operated health and fitness club founded in 2003 by Peter Taunton. Headquartered in Chanhassen, Minnesota, the company specializes in smaller fitness gyms than its big box competitors, such as Bally Total Fitness, with a "no frills" business model that does not include pools, tennis courts, or locker rooms.
Snap Fitness operates through franchising. Most of its at least 1,500 locations are open 24/7, with many locations staffed during the day, and with personal training services available. The chain operates in 48 of the United States, plus Canada, Mexico, India, United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia.
In 2008, the company was ranked in Entrepreneur magazine's Franchise 500. In 2010, Peter Taunton was named Ernst & Young’s “Entrepreneur of the Year,” for demonstrating extraordinary success in the areas of innovation, financial performance and personal commitment to his business and community.
- Snap Fitness: An exercise in growth - theoaklandpress.com
- No-frills Snap Fitness finds market alongside giants - Columbus - Business First
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Google News Archive Search
- Survival of the Fittest: Fitness Franchise Snap Fitness Opens 1,000th Club
- Press Release - Snap Fitness "Muscles" Its Way to #1 Ranking in Fitness Category
- [Reference: Ernst & Young, June 10, 2010, http://www.ey.com/US/en/Newsroom/News-releases/Ernst-and-Young-Entrepreneur-Of-The-Year-2010-award-winners-in-Upper-Midwest-Region-announced)