Snow Day (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Chris Koch|
|Produced by||Albie Hecht
|Written by||Will McRobb
|Narrated by||Mark Webber|
|Music by||Steve Bartek|
|Editing by||David Finfer|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Release dates||February 11, 2000|
|Running time||89 minutes|
Snow Day is a 2000 American comedy film by Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies. It was released on February 11, 2000 and was met with generally negative reviews from film critics, but was a modest box office success. It was released on home video on October 3, 2000.
The film focuses on a group of elementary students in Syracuse, New York, led by Natalie Brandston (Zena Grey), who get a snow day, and try to keep their school snowed-in and closed by stopping a snowplow driver known as "Snowplowman" (Chris Elliott) from plowing the streets. Meanwhile, her older brother Hal (Mark Webber) tries to win the heart of high school sweetheart Claire Bonner (Emmanuelle Chriqui), with the help of his best friend, Lane Leonard (Schuyler Fisk), who secretly harbors feelings for Hal. Also, their dad Tom (Chevy Chase) is a TV meteorologist who must face off against a rival meteorologist, Chad Symmonz (John Schneider), in order to have the right of continuing his weather career. Laura (Jean Smart), the workaholic mother, is stuck at home with Randy, her mischievous son.
Eventually, Natalie and her friends Wayne (Josh Peck) and Chet (Jade Yorker) take over the plow and "unplow" the streets (move all the snow back in the way). After endless love demonstrations, (and being rescued by Natalie) Hal finds out he, in fact, loves Lane. Tom unmasks Chad on live TV, showing the viewers he is fake, winning his status back. And Laura takes the day off from work to look after Randy.
- Chris Elliott – Roger Stubblefield (aka Snowplowman)
- Mark Webber – Hal Brandston
- Jean Smart – Laura Brandston
- Schuyler Fisk – Lane Leonard
- Chevy Chase – Tom Brandston
- Iggy Pop – Mr. Zellweger
- Pam Grier – Tina
- John Schneider – Chad Symmonz
- Zena Grey – Natalie "Nats" Brandston
- Emmanuelle Chriqui – Claire Bonner
- Josh Peck – Wayne Alworth
- Jade Yorker – Chet Felker
- Damian Young – Principal Ken Weaver
- Connor Matheus – Randall Todd "Randy" Brandston
- J. Adam Brown – Bill Korn
- David Paetkau – Chuck Wheeler
- Kea Wong – Paula
- Carly Pope – Fawn
- Tim Paleniuk – Mailman
- Rozonda "Chili" Thomas – Mona
- Katharine Isabelle – Marla
It was filmed in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, as well as Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta. It was originally planned to be a movie based on the television series The Adventures of Pete & Pete, but this idea was aborted and the film was rewritten as a stand-alone story.
The film opened at #3 at the North American box office making $14.3 million USD in its opening weekend behind The Beach and Scream 3, which was on its second week at the top spot. It was a modest box office success, earning $60,020,107 in its domestic run and has grossed $62,464,731 worldwide.
It received mostly negative reviews from critics. Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a "Rotten" rating of 28% based on 65 reviews, with and average score of 4.2/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Weak assembly of characters and story lines made this movie forgettable and silly." Metacritic gave the film a score of 34% based on 22 reviews, indicating "Generally unfavorable reviews".
Awards and nominations
|2000||YoungStar Awards||Best Young Actor/Performance in a Motion Picture Comedy||Mark Webber||Nominated|
|2001||Young Artist Awards||Best Family Feature Film - Comedy||Nominated|
|Best Performance in a Feature Film - Young Actor Age Ten or Under||Connor Matheus||Nominated|
|Blockbuster Entertainment Awards||Favorite Song from a Movie (Internet Only)||Another Dumb Blonde performed by Hoku||Nominated|
- "Snow Day (2000) - Box Office Mojo".
- "Snow Day (2000)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Snow Day Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More - Metacritic". Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Snow Day at the Internet Movie Database
- Snow Day at the TCM Movie Database
- Snow Day at allmovie
- Snow Day (film) at Rotten Tomatoes