|Key people||Ross Hitt (CEO)|
SMEC Holdings Limited (formerly Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation) is a Melbourne-based firm that provides consulting services on major infrastructure projects around the world. SMEC undertakes feasibility studies, design, tender and contract management, construction supervision and project management. Types of project include civil engineering, transport, water, environment and power.
Between 1949 and 1974 the Snowy Mountains Authority (SMA) undertook a massive hydro-electric and irrigation project, the Snowy Mountains Scheme, in the Snowy Mountains of New South Wales. The work included sixteen dams, seven power stations, 150 kilometres (93 mi) of tunnels, 80 kilometres (50 mi) of aqueducts, 2,000 kilometres (1,200 mi) and much other construction. It was completed on time and within budget. The work showcased Australian engineering, and in the 1960s the SMA was given projects in Thailand, Sabah, Papua New Guinea and Cambodia.
In 1970 the Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation (SMEC) was established to preserve and market the expertise that SMA had acquired. Many of the early projects were funded by the Australian International Development Assistance Bureau (AIDAB). By 1991, the Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation (SMEC) was a public company with 220 staff. The company was wholly owned by the Australian Government, and provided engineering consulting and project management services around the world. SMEC became a Commonwealth Government owned public company in 1989, and in 1993 SMEC was sold to staff by the government. SMEC's total revenue in the 2012 financial year was $420 million. The company and its subsidiaries had 5,000 employees in Australia.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1991). Year Book Australia, 1991 No. 74. Aust. Bureau of Statistics. GGKEY:Q27G1441W40. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Company History". SMEC. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Company Overview". SMEC. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Ibis World (2012-06-30). "SMEC Holdings Limited - Premium Company Report Australia". Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Porter, Doug; Allen, Bryant James; Thompson, Gaye (1991). Development in Practice: Paved With Good Intentions. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-06626-6. Retrieved 2012-09-20.