Snuff (Palahniuk novel)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)|
|May 20, 2008|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|LC Class||PS3566.A4554 S68 2008|
Cassie Wright, porn priestess, intends to cap her legendary career by breaking the world record for serial fornication on camera, with six hundred men. Snuff unfolds through the perspectives of Mr. 600, Mr. 72, Mr. 137, and Wright's personal assistant, Sheila. With his satirical narrative and thorough research, Chuck Palahniuk reveals through these four characters the little-known facts and histories of not only pornography and sexual deviance, but also acting and life in and out of the spotlight, and throughout the novel shows the rarely acknowledged presence of pornography in modern America.
First edition copies
The first edition print of the books included a light brown color to the font, and as usual with Palahniuk's releases, a heavily themed jacket and inside cover for the book. Inside and on the book liner were various sexual poses outlined in dark brown against a lighter brown.
Snuff follows three men who are waiting to immortalize themselves into pornography history as they wait to bed Cassie Wright, a former porn queen who has fallen into harder times. Each chapter follows a different guy (Mr. 600, Mr. 72, and Mr. 137), as well as Sheila, the female wrangler who dictates who is the next to be filmed with Cassie Wright. As the three men wait, each starts to divulge their true reasons for wanting to be filmed, as well as discuss the sordid history of Cassie Wright and her reason for suddenly dropping out of the pornography industry for a year. As backgrounds, secrets, and would-be children start to appear, the tensions in the room start to rise and in the end the true secrets of her comeback, and who really is Cassie Wright's porn child, are the last things any of them suspect.
A film version of the book is in production  starring Daryl Hannah, Tom Sizemore, and Thora Birch, written and directed by Golan Ramras and Fabien Martorell, produced by Immortal Transmedia. Although many other Palahniuk films have been put in production, this one has seen more light than the others. If this film goes into production it would be the third book by Palahniuk to be made into a film after Fight Club and Choke. Later the claims were dismissed by Hannah and Birch as they told their agents were never called for this picture and didn't even know the script. Hannah is a voice against sex trafficking so it goes against many of her beliefs but Sizemore is still interested in the project.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2010)|
- The story was originally inspired by Annabel Chong, who set the record for engaging in 251 sex acts with around 70 men in 10 hours.
- The book release around Mother's Day is intentional, due to one of the subplots of the novel involving a mother-child relationship.
- Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 14:22 GMT. "Movies - News - Daryl Hannah to play 'Snuff' porn star". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 09:15 CET. "Adults Only Maltese Producer to adapt book about porn princess". Malta Today. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Daryl Hannah Is Up To Snuff | Movie News | Empire". Empireonline.com. 2006-12-05. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- 2 Like3 Dislike0 Feb 8, 2011 by Brian Gallagher. "Daryl Hannah and Tom Sizemore Join Snuff". MovieWeb.com. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- 2 Like3 Dislike0 Feb 8, 2011 by Brian Gallagher. "Updated! 'Snuff' Casting: Thora Birch and Daryl Hannah not attached". ChuckPalahniuk.net. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
May 20th 2008, "Snuff". Good reads. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1840511.Snuff Retrieved 2014-05-03. Saturday 16 August 2008, "Snuff". The guerdian. http://www.theguardian.com/books/2008/aug/16/chuckpalahniuk.fiction Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- Deveson, Tom (October 26, 2008). "Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk". The Sunday Times (London).
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Snuff (Palahniuk novel)|