|Single by Janet Jackson featuring Khia|
|from the album 20 Y.O.|
|Released||August 28, 2006 (digital)
October 31, 2006 (U.S. single)
|Format||CD single, digital download,
|Recorded||2006, at Flyte Tyme Studios
(Santa Barbara, California)
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B, electro, pop|
|Writer(s)||Janet Jackson, Jermaine Dupri, James Phillips, Johnta Austin, James Harris III, Terry Lewis, Khia Chambers, Herbie Hancock, Michael Beinhorn, Bill Laswell|
|Producer||Jermaine Dupri, LRoc, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Janet Jackson|
"So Excited" is a song by American R&B and pop singer-songwriter Janet Jackson, featuring rapper Khia. Released on August 28, 2006 as the second single from Jackson's ninth studio album, 20 Y.O. (2006), it peaked at number ninety on the Billboard Hot 100, number one in Japan and had success in various countries worldwide. "So Excited" also managed to become Jackson's seventeenth number-one dance hit.
The song is a dance track which samples Herbie Hancock's 1983 song "Rockit"; this is the second time Jackson has sampled a song by Hancock, the first time being 2004's "All Nite (Don't Stop)", which samples his 1975 song "Hang up Your Hang Ups". The song premiered on August 19, 2006 on Jermaine Dupri's So So Def Radio on Atlanta radio station WVEE. The Radio Edit silences "inside of" in the line "my body is in overdrive dying to have you inside of me" and "thumpin'" in the line "I'ma keep your body thumpin'".
The song was made available for digital download as a free with 20 Y.O. pre-orders on iTunes on August 29, 2006. It debuted on BET's 106 & Park on the album's release date, September 26, 2006. After the debut on "106 & Park," album pre-orders shot up well over 8000% and led the album to debut at #1 on the Billboard 200 well before the album was released.
She has performed the song on Rock Witchu Tour.
Jon Pareles from The New York Times said that: "She’s never as explicit as the female rappers who arrived after her — like Khia, who joins her on “So Excited” — but she’s not shy either. In “So Excited” Janet vows, “If you like it then I’ll do it/I’ll go head to toe.” Angus Batey from Yahoo! Music said: "I'll open my spot for you / Anytime you want me to," she spits amid the pugilistic beats of "So Excited", making it sound more like a threat than a promise." Thomas Inskeep from Stylus Magazine criticised the album, but enjoyed the track, calling it a "sticky ear-candy". He further commented that: "The sexed-up “So Excited” rides a Herbie Hancock groove and a throwaway contribution from Khia (?!) to, if not ultimate satisfaction, at least a half-decent orgasm." Miles Marshall Lewis from The Village Voice was also positive, saying that: "Jermaine Dupri girds "So Excited" with "Rockit" scratches, coaching guest-rapper Khia to sound like Da Brat on the naughty hook. Serviceable enough, it's surprisingly the highlight of an album marketed as an homage to Control."
"So Excited" debuted on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at number seventy-five on September 30, 2006, eventually peaking at number thirty-four. It peaked at number ninety on the Billboard Hot 100, which was considered a disappointment. The song was possibly overshadowed by the success of Janet's prior single "Call on Me", which peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs in September and October 2006 during the same time "So Excited" was released. The song later peaked at number one in Japan, number two in Italy and also achieved success in other countries. Nevertheless, on the Hot Dance Club Play chart, "So Excited" became Jackson's twenty-second consecutive top ten single and her seventeenth number-one hit.
The music video for "So Excited" was filmed in Los Angeles on August 23–24, 2006. Joseph Kahn directed the video, with choreography by Gil Duldulao which premiered on September 13, 2006 on BET's Access Granted.
UK CD 1 (B000K4X37S)
UK CD 2 (B000JU7K7W)
U.S. and European promo CD single
U.S. 12" promo single (0946 3 74824 1 4 8)
U.S. promo CD single
U.S. 12" single (0946 3 81149 1 8)
- Album Version – 3:15
- Radio Edit – 3:15
- Album Instrumental – 3:15
- Album A Cappella – 3:12
- Remix featuring Fabolous and Fatman Scoop – 3:44
- Junior Vasquez Radio Edit – 3:18
- Junior Vasquez World Mixshow
- Junior Vasquez Mixshow Edit – 5:11
- Junior Vasquez Club Mix – 7:22
- Junior Vasquez Dub Mix / Junior Vasquez Instrumental Dub – 7:14
- Bimbo Jones Radio Edit – 3:10
- Bimbo Jones Club Remix – 6:45
- Bimbo Jones Dub Edit / Bimbo Jones Remix Instrumental – 6:48
- Eddie Baez Mix – 8:58
- Khia's Hood Remix – 4:14 (not commissioned by Virgin Records)
|Finnish Singles Chart||9|
|Italian Singles Chart||2|
|Japanese Singles Chart||1|
|Spanish Singles Chart||13|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||90|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||34|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||93|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
Chart procession and succession
"I Believe" by Georgie Porgie
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
January 13, 2007
"Hurt" by Christina Aguilera
- Janet Jackson | .janet|xone
- Pareles, Jon (September 25, 2006). "New CD's - New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- Batey, Angus (2006-09-25). "Janet Jackson - 20 YO - Yahoo! Music Album Review". Yahoo! UK Music. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Inskeep, Thomas (October 6, 2006). "Janet Jackson - 20 Y.O. - Review - Stylus Magazine". Stylus Magazine. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- Lewis, Miles Marshall (October 10, 2006). "Lose Control - Ms. Jackson works hard but still can't sound truly effortless". The Village Voice. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- (OFFLINE) Board Offline
- Video Static: Music Video News: August 13, 2006 - August 19, 2006
- Amazon.de: So Excited, Pt. 1 [UK-Import]: Janet Jackson: Musik
- Amazon.com: So Excited, Pt. 2: Janet Jackson: Music
- Janet* - So Excited
- Janet Jackson - So Excited (Remixes)
- Janet* - So Excited
- "Janet Jackson and Khia – So Excited – Music Charts". αCharts.us. Retrieved June 12, 2009.
- "Italian Charts". IFPI. ifpi.com. Retrieved February 22, 2009.
- "20 Y.O. > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved June 12, 2009.