So Far Gone (EP)
|So Far Gone|
|EP by Drake|
|Released||September 15, 2009|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B, synthpop, electronica|
|Label||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Producer||Lil Wayne (exec.), Cortez Bryant (exec.), Gee Roberson (exec.)
Boi-1da, DJ Khalil, Noah "40" Shebib (also exec.), Needlz, Arthur McArthur, Oliver El-Khabib (co-exec.)
|Singles from So Far Gone|
So Far Gone is the debut extended play by Canadian recording artist Drake, released on September 15, 2009, originally released as a mixtape on February 13, 2009. It features only five songs from the mixtape, and two new songs. There are guest appearances by Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, Bun B, and Young Jeezy. Its three singles are "Best I Ever Had", "Successful", and "I'm Goin' In" In April 2010, the EP won Rap Recording of the Year at the 2010 Juno Awards.
So Far Gone was originally released as the third mixtape from Drake in February of 2009. As a result of the mixtape's success, an EP was determined to be released in later in the year on September 15th, 2009. The track-list however cuts the original seventeen songs on the mixtape to only seven on the EP. A track titled "Fear" would be the only new song to be released on the Extended Play. "Fear" serves as the transition song between So Far Gone and his debut studio album Thank Me Later. Drake described the song in an interview with MTV as "eerie", and mentioned that "the last line of the third verse is gonna be the first line on my album [Thank Me Later]".
"Best I Ever Had" was released as the first single seven months prior to the release of the EP as a digital download from the So Far Gone mixtape. The song was eventually released as an official single on June 16th, 2009. The single is one of Drake's most successful songs to date, and charted for 24 weeks while eventually peaking at number two on the Billboard Hot 100. The single also managed to peak at number one on both the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart and the Billboard Rap Songs Chart, thus becoming Drake's first number one hit on both of these charts. The song was certified Platinum by the RIAA indicating sales of over 1,000,000 copies in the US.
"Successful" was released as the second single from So Far Gone. The single managed to peak at number seventeen on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent a total of 18 weeks on the chart. The song also reached the Top 5 on both the R&B/Hip-Hop and Rap charts peaking at number 3 and number 2 respectively. It was certified Gold by the RIAA indicating sales of over 500,000 copies in the US.
"I'm Goin' In" charted and peaked at number 40 the week after the EP was released. It was later sent to urban radio as the album's third single on October 27, 2009. It managed to remain on the Hot 100 for seventeen weeks. The single was later certified Platinum by the RIAA indicating sales of 1,000,000 copies in the US.
The EP debuted at number six on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart with 73,000 units sold. It dropped in the second week to number nine, with sales of 36,000, totalling 109,000 copies sold. Despite being an EP, it was the fifth best selling rap album of 2009. As of February 2012, the album has sold 639,000 copies in the United States. The album was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America on July 4, 2010 for sales exceeding 500,000.
Overall the Extended Play has received generally positive reviews from music critics. On Metacritic, the album has received an average score of 76 which indicates "generally favorable reviews". RapReviews.com reviewed the album positively and commented on the EP by saying "The songs that were already previously available on "So Far Gone" are a winner and the new songs don't bring Drake down off the high cloud he's already on". All Music Guide also reviewed the EP positively and said "So Far Gone shows that Drake is for real, and works as a tantalizing teaser for his first full-length record." Entertainment Weekly gave So Far Gone a positive review, and commented on the EP by saying "For those unfamiliar with Drake's ambidextrous style - crooning Auto-Tune love songs one moment, spitting clever bars the next - it's a handy primer. Everyone else can put the neurosis-exploring new cut Fear on repeat and continue anticipating". However, PopMatters gave the album a mixed review and pointed out that musically, "I'm Goin' In" was the "weak link" in the EP.
|1.||"Houstatlantavegas"||Noah "40" Shebib, Keshown Cassel||4:50|
|2.||"Successful" (featuring Trey Songz & Lil Wayne)||Noah "40" Shebib||5:51|
|3.||"Best I Ever Had"||Boi-1da (originally produced by Kia Shine)||4:17|
|4.||"Uptown" (featuring Bun B & Lil Wayne)||Boi-1da, Arthur McArthur||6:21|
|5.||"I'm Goin' In" (featuring Lil Wayne & Young Jeezy)||Needlz||3:45|
|6.||"The Calm"||Noah "40" Shebib||4:06|
- "Best I Ever Had" samples "Fallin' in Love" by Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds
- "Uptown" samples "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel
|US Billboard 200||6|
|US Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||3|
|US Billboard Top Rap Albums||2|
|Canadian Albums Chart||15|
|US Billboard 200||122|
- Sendra, Tim. "allmusic ((( So Far Gone > Overview )))". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Drake & Lil Wayne ‘Go In’ for New Video". Rap-Up.com. 2009-08-21. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Drake Releases 'So Far Gone' EP". theboombox.com. 2009-09-15. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Drake To Re-Release So Far Gone Mixtape". MTV. 2009-08-14. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Drake - Best I Ever Had". acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Drake featuring Trey Songz - Successful". acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Urban/UAC Future Releases (October 27, 2009)". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on October 8, 2009. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Drake featuring Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy - I'm Going In". acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Music Charts, Most Popular Music, Music by Genre & Top Music Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "WCharts - World Charts : Bb200 10/10/09 - Pearl Jam em 1º lugar na semana de estréia". Wcharts.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Reviews : AllHipHop ChartWatch: 2009's Top Selling Hip-Hop Acts". Allhiphop.com. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- Jacobs, Allen (2010-07-07). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 7/4/2010 | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- Allmusic review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- PopMatters review
- RapReviews review
- Village Voice review
- "So Far Gone [EP] - Drake". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Drake Music News & Info". Billboard.com. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Best of 2010 - Billboard Top 200". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-31.