|Single by The Police|
|from the album Outlandos d'Amour|
|B-side||"No Time This Time"|
February 1980 (re-release)
|Format||Vinyl record (7")|
|Genre||New wave, ska|
|Length||3:10 (7" single edit)
4:52 (Full-length album version)
|Label||A&M - AMS 7402|
|Producer||Stewart Copeland, Sting, Andy Summers|
|The Police singles chronology|
"So Lonely" is a song by The Police, appearing on the 1978 studio album Outlandos d'Amour and released as a single in November 1978 and again in February 1980 as a re-release. The single didn't chart on the first occasion but reached number 6 with its second release. The other singles from Outlandos D'Amour, "Roxanne" and "Can't Stand Losing You", followed a similar pattern of not charting very high in 1978, but doing very well on a re-release.
"People thrashing out three chords didn't really interest us musically. Reggae was accepted in punk circles and musically more sophisticated, and we could play it, so we veered off in that direction. I mean let's be honest here, 'So Lonely' was unabashedly culled from 'No Woman No Cry' by Bob Marley. Same chorus. What we invented was this thing of going back and forth between thrash punk and reggae. That was the little niche we created for ourselves."—Sting, Revolver 4/2000
Sting recycled the lyrics in the song's verses from his earlier Last Exit song "Fool in Love".
The video for the song depicts the band walking around the streets of Hong Kong and on the subway trains of Tokyo in 1980.
- Sting - bass, lead vocals, backing vocals, harmonica
- Andy Summers - guitars
- Stewart Copeland - drums
|Irish Singles Chart||7|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||31|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||26|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||6|
7": A&M / AMS 7402 (UK)
- "So Lonely" - 3:10
- "No Time This Time" - 3:30
- "1980 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 15th March 1980". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- Garbarini, Vic (Spring 2000). "I think if we came back...", Revolver.
- "So Lonely" Video
- "So lonely in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved 25 June 2013. 3rd result when searching "So lonely"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Police search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Police – So Lonely" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
|This 1970s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|