A soaper is a person who practices soap making. It is the origin of the surnames "Soper", "Soaper", and "Saboni" (Arabic for soap maker). Roads named "Sopers Lane," "Soper Street," and so forth often were centres for soap making.
Craft-scale soap making has a variety of adherents, both those who practice it as a hobby and to keep traditional soap making methods alive, and consumers who prefer traditional handmade products as alternatives to mass-produced industrial offerings and as a contribution to a more sustainable means of living.
A "soaper" is also slang for Quaaludes.
- McDaniel, Robert (2000).
- Miller Cavitch, Susan (1997).
- The Merriam-Webster Doictionary (1994).
- McDaniel, Robert (1997). The Elegant Art of Handmade Soap: Making, Scenting, Coloring, and Shaping. Iola, WI: Krause Publications. ISBN 0-87341-832-8.
- Miller Cavitch, Susan (1997). The Soap Maker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques, and Know-How. North Adams, MA: Storey Books. ISBN 0-88266-965-6.
- The Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, Inc. 1994. ISBN 0-87779-911-3.
- Certified Lye - Using Lye to Make Soap
- Glossary for the Modern Soap Maker
- Glossary of Soap Terms Natural Soap Council
- Instructions for Cold Process Soap
- Modern Soap Making Methods - Soap Making: Cold Process, Hot Process, Discounted Water CP
- Natural Handmade Soapers Links
- Natural Soap Directory
- Soap Making Information
- Soap Making
- Soapmaking Information on Bellaonline.com, the Voice of Women- Basic and advanced soapmaking information and soap cigarbands and labels - Share information and get answers to questions on the Soapmaking forum at Soapmaking at Bellaonline.