Soce, the elemental wizard
|Soce, the elemental wizard|
Soce, the elemental wizard
|Birth name||Andrew Singer|
|Origin||New York City|
|Genres||Hip hop, homo hop|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper and producer|
|violin, piano, guitar and bass|
About Soce, the Elemental Wizard
Videos and Flash Featurettes
Soce has four flash featurettes: Sad and Lonely, RPG Interlude, Internet Treasure Quest and The Shortest Adventure Game You'll Ever Play. Sad and Lonely was screened at film festivals in Minneapolis, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Florida and Brazil, and Soce floats has been screened in at a festival in LA. Music videos for his singles "I Am (So Gay)" and "They Call Me" (both directed by Liam Ahern) have recently begun circulating the web.
Soce had a US tour, where he did shows in Chicago, Indianapolis, Iowa City, Dubuque, Minneapolis, Mountain View, San Diego and Los Angeles. He appeared on MTV, VH1, here!, Logo, WNYC, and Sirius Satellite Radio, (Howard Stern, OutQ, Raw Dog Comedy and Shade 45). He performers and reviews shows for NYC comedy blog The Apiary and also City Scoops, writes a blog for outhiphop.com, reviews videogames for WayTooHip Radio, co-hosted a monthly Math Bee at Chelsea Market with comedian Jen Dziura and co-hosts a monthly stand-up comedy show at The PIT (formerly a weekly show in East Village at Cellar 58) with Abbi Crutchfield called Positively Awesome.
He produces music for many other performers, including the track "Lick It" by God-des and She, which they performed live on the season finale of The L Word and produced "The Whole World" by MF Grimm—which appears on Grimm's 2006 album American Hunger, in addition to "U & U", "Karma" and "Sick" by QBoy, which features soce contributing a guest verse. He produced the music for the music video "Hold Tight" by Rob Cantrell and the intro to "EZ Heeb" plus the entirety of "Booty Shake" by Athens Boys Choir.
Bigg Nugg released a CD single and a music video of his collaboration with Soce, entitled "I Remember".
In 2007, Soce co-hosted NYC's gay pride parade, along with fellow gay artist Sandra Grace. Soce and Sandra co-hosted the gay pride parade again in 2008, and he did it again in 2009, this time with Sybil Bruncheon.
In 2008, Soce competed in the Sirius Shade 45 gay hip hop competition and won by audience vote.
In 2009, Soce was nominated for two OutMusic Awards; one for hip hop and one for production.
Soce has created a video series called Math Problems in which he asks a special guest a few math questions that they then answer correctly. Each episode contains the following four aspects: 1) Discussion of math. 2) Silly dancing at the beginning. 3) One awkward touch. 4) The intro dancing always takes place in a doorway. Featured guests so far have included Ophira Eisenberg, Prince Paul, Myq Kaplan, Jessica Delfino and Corn Mo.
- Dream de la Dream 2003
- I'm in My Own World 2004
- The Lemonade Incident 2005
- Master of Fine Arts 2009
Soce's upcoming album, Life Lessons, is planned for a 2011 release and features various songs he has released as singles and performed at live shows, including "The Mic" (a song about his love of his microwave oven), "Rob" (a gospel song) and "Too Many Fish" (a collaborative track features 3-bar guest verses by Prince Cat-Eyez, Lester Greene, Humility's Hand, Tim'm West, Amnesia Sparkles, FoxxJazell, Mistamaker, Tori Fixx, Wayne Latham, JFP, Delacruz and Chewy).
- "Passport to the Future" - End of the Weak
- "What You Thought It Was" - Access Immortal
- "Mi Corazon R&B Remix" - Julio Granados
- "Bronx" - PM US & Migs
- "You Don't Know" - PM US & Migs
- "Love Me" - PM US & Migs
- "Violence" - Keith Zarriello
- "Fight" - Chaz Neo
- "The Bunny" - Scotty the Blue Bunny
- "Wedding Flowers" - Po2.com (produced all of the music for this online flash game)
- "How to Rob Comics" - Miss CKC & TMC (recorded, mixed)
- "Summer Jam" - Miss CKC, TMC, Beena Steena (recorded, mixed, added drums)
- "DAMN (You Wish)" - Miss CKC, TMC, Beena Steena (recorded, mixed, added drums, record scratching)
- "Date an Asian" - Jen Kwok
- "U & U" - QBoy
- "Karma" - QBoy
- "Booty Shake" - Athens Boys Choir
- "EZ Heeb" - Athens Boys Choir (intro only)
- "Beer Belly" - Lester Greene
- "Hit the Bar" - Lester Greene featuring Amnesia Sparkles
- "Life is What You Make It" - Lester Greene
- "Most People Are Idiots" - Jeff Scott
- "Reclaim" - Jeff Scott
- Breindel, Marc (30 November 2005). "Gay Jewish rapper keepin' it real". Gay.Com.
- Radner, Ronni (October 2005). "Magic Man". Out Magazine.
- Shinefield, Mordechai (12 August 2005). "White. Gay. Jewish. Rapper?". The Jewish Daily Forward.
- Hollenbach, Shawn (August 8, 2008). "Busted". Here TV.
- Schaefer, John (December 16, 2006). "Soundcheck". WNYC.
- Rubin, Dave (August 2008). "Hot Gay Comics". Here TV.
- "New York City's Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Pride March 2008" (PDF). Heritage of Pride. June 2008.
- Yee, Angela (August 8, 2008). "The Gayest Rap Show Ever". Sirius Shade 45.
- Tyler-Ameen, Daoud (2005), "Music Reviews: Soce, the Elemental Wizard: I’m In My Own World", Yale Herald, archived from the original on 2005-02-03, retrieved 2009-11-25
- "OHH Exclusive Interview with SOCE the Elemental Wizard". OutHipHop.com. July 31, 2009.