Iceberg Skating Palace
The Iceberg Skating Palace (Russian: Дворец Зимнего Спорта Айсберг) is a 12,000-seat multi-purpose arena in Sochi, Russia. The venue hosted the figure skating and short track speed skating events at the 2014 Winter Olympics. It cost $43.9 million, including the temporary works for the Olympics. 15,000 tonnes of steel were used. The environment was taken into consideration in its construction. A local figure skating competition was held in October 2012 but the International Skating Union said more work was needed to be ready for the 2012–2013 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, a test event in December 2012. At the Grand Prix Final, competitors said they liked the venue but some spectators complained about handrails obstructing the view in the upper tier. It takes about two hours to adjust the ice when switching from figure skating to short track or vice versa.
After the Olympics, the arena may remain for ice skating or be converted into a cycling velodrome.
- Dolgova, Tatiana (2012-12-05). "Olympic 'Iceberg' welcomes world's best figure skaters". Voice of Russia.
- Chaykovskaya, Evgeniya (2012-10-08). "Russian skaters test the ice at the new Iceberg Sports Palace in Sochi". The Moscow News.
- Luchianov, Vladislav (2012-05-14). "Sochi's 'Iceberg' Skating Palace ready for action". Icenetwork.
- Heintz, Jim (December 6, 2012). "Olympic skating venue a hit with Grand Prix competitors". Associated Press (Canada.com). Archived from the original on 2012-12-07.
- Александр Коган: чтобы Ледовый дворец «Айсберг» перестроился с фигурного катания на шорт-трек и наоборот, нужно всего два часа [Aleksandr Kogan: At the Iceberg Skating Palace, you need only two hours to switch from figure skating to short track and vice versa]. team-russia2014.ru (in Russian). 2012-12-24.
- "Minister Hints at Skating Legacy for Sochi Venue". rsport.ru. 2013-02-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iceberg Skating Palace.|
- Venue models from Sochi Investment Forum 2009
- Ice Arena information and images
- Arena information and drawings
- Sochi2014.com profile
|This article about a Russian sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|