Social Democratic Party (Faroe Islands)
|Social Democratic Party|
|Leader||Aksel V. Johannesen|
|Founded||25 September 1925|
|Headquarters||Tórshavn, Faroe Islands|
|Youth wing||Socialist Youth|
|National affiliation||Social Democrats|
|Politics of the Faroe Islands
The Social Democratic Party (Faroese: Javnaðarflokkurin, lit. Equality Party) is a social-democratic political party in the Faroe Islands, led by Aksel V. Johannesen. At the legislative elections, 29 October 2011, the party won 17.8% of the popular vote and 6 out of 32 seats.
At the legislative elections of 19 January 2008, the party won 19.3% of the popular vote and 6 out of 32 seats.
At the legislative elections of 20 January 2004, the party won 21.8% of the popular vote and 7 out of 33 seats.
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Faroe Islands
- Aksel V. Johannesen 2011–present
- Jóannes Eidesgaard 1996–2011
- Marita Petersen 1993–1996
- Atli Dam 1972–1993
- Jákup Frederik Øregaard 1969–1972
- Einar Waag 1968–1969
- Peter Mohr Dam 1936–1968
- Maurentius Viðstein 1926–1936
Current members of the Løgting
- Former member of the Social Democratic Party, Mr. Gerhard Lognberg was elected for the Social Democratic Party at the Faroese general election, 2011, but after several occasions of disagreements between Mr. Lognberg and the leader of the party, especially about the plans about a subsea tunnel between his island Sandoy and the mainarea of the Faroes, Mr. Lognberg was exclude from the party and is currently since November 2013 an independent member of the Løgting.
History of Javnaðarflokkurin in the Faroese general elections
- Faroese general elections 1928–2011
In the 2011 election for the Folketing, the party improved its vote to 21.0% of the Faroese vote, and took one of the two Faroese seats in the Folketing previously held by Republic. They supported the "Red Bloc" led by the Danish Social Democrats. The politician who was elected and now represents the Social Democratic Party in the Folketing is Sjúrður Skaale; he got 1539 personal votes.
- Parties and Elections in Europe: The database about parliamentary elections and political parties in Europe, by Wolfram Nordsieck
- Tom Lansford (8 April 2014). Political Handbook of the World 2014. SAGE Publications. p. 392. ISBN 978-1-4833-3327-4.
- Christina Bergqvist (1 January 1999). Equal Democracies?: Gender and Politics in the Nordic Countries. Nordic Council of Ministers. p. 318. ISBN 978-82-00-12799-4.
- UF.fo, Løgtingsvalið 19. januar 2008
- J.fo, From the history of the Social Democratic Party of the Faroe Islands
- Aktuelt.fo, Tríggir flokkar vilja hava Gerhard Lognberg
- Official web site (Faroese)