Social Media Examiner
|Foundation date||October 2009|
|Headquarters||Poway, California, U.S.|
|Slogan(s)||"Your guide to the social media jungle"|
|Alexa rank||1938 (November 2013[update])|
|Type of site||Magazine & blogging|
SocialMediaExaminer.com's primary focus is to help business people use social networks (such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest), YouTube, blogs and podcasts. The online magazine publishes original research, has a weekly podcast show and oversees multiple communities for social media marketers.
MyKidsAdventures.com is geared toward parents and grandparents. The site publishes information that gives adults step-by-step instructions regarding creative activities they can do with children. The site publishes original articles multiple times a week.
History and Growth
Two weeks after launch, Technorati ranked SocialMediaExaminer.com as a top-10 business blog. Alexa ranked the site as one of the top 1200 in America 18 months after launch. AdAge ranked SocialMediaExaminer.com fifth on its Power 150 list of most influential marketing blogs (the site stopped updating its list in July 2013). Technorati ranks the site as one of the Top 100 Business and Top 100 Small Business blogs.
Social Media Examiner has been discussed in several books including, The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal Profitable Network using the Social Web by Mari Smith, and The Entrepreneur’s Information Source Book: Charting the Path to Small Business Success, 2nd ed. by Susan C. Awe.
In July 2013, My Kids’ Adventures was launched.
Reports and Conferences
Social Media Examiner has published its annual Social Media Marketing Industry Report since 2009. The report is based on a study of thousands of marketers and details how businesses are using social media. In 2013, 3,000 marketers participated in Social Media Examiner’s study. The report has been cited in The Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur and Inc. magazine.
Social Media Examiner hosts multiple annual conferences. Over 3,000 people attend the Social Media Success Summit, an online event. Social Media Examiner also hosts the Social Media Marketing World conference. In 2013, 1,100 marketers attended the conference.
- "socialmediaexaminer.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "About Social Media Examiner". Social Media Examiner.
- "About MyKidsAdventures.com". Social Media Examiner.
- Rodriguez, Neil. "How an Online Magazine Is Being Built Into a Million Dollar Business". Huffington Post. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- "How to Launch a Successful Social Media Strategy". Small Business Guide to Social Media. Experian.
- Elliot, Bryan. "Behind the Brand: Social Media Examiner". Entrepreneur. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- "Power150". AdAge.
- "Blog Directory". Technorati. Retrieved October 2013.
- Smith, Mari (2011). The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal Profitable Network Using the Social Web. Wiley. p. 139.
- Awe, Susan C. (2012). The Entrepreneur’s Information Source Book: Charting the Path to Small Business Success, 2nd Ed. ABC-CLIO,Inc. pp. 113, 128.
- Ross, Debra. "A new web site for busy parents everywhere: My Kids’ Adventures". herRochester.com. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Social Media Marketing Industry Report 2009". White Paper Source. Retrieved March 2009.
- Padveen, Corey. "Social Media Marketing Industry Report 2013". t2 Social Media Marketing. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- "Social Media Marketing Industry Report 2013". Social Media Examiner. Retrieved May 2013.
- Needleman, Sarah E. "Facebook Is Tops for Small Business". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Belicover, Michael E. "How Marketers Use Social Media". Entrepreneur. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- Rubin, Courtney. "Why Social Media is Really Worth Your Time". Inc. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "Social Media Success Summit". Social Media Examiner. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Social Media Marketing World". Social Media Examiner. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Gingerich, Mike. "Social Media Marketing World 2013 Review". Retrieved April 13, 2013.