Socialist Popular Alliance Party
|Socialist People's Alliance Party (SPAP)|
|Hizb Al-Tahalof Al-Shaeby Al-Ishtiraky
حزب التحالف الشعبي الاشتراكي
|Leader||Abdel Ghafar Shokr|
|National affiliation||Revolutionary Democratic Coalition
National Salvation Front
Civil Democratic Current
|Politics of Egypt
The Socialist People's Alliance Party (SPAP) (Arabic: حزب التحالف الشعبي الإشتراكي Hizb Al-Tahalof Al-Shaeby Al-Ishtiraky) is a leftist party in Egypt formed shortly after the Egyptian Revolution of 2011. Its membership comprises many leftist organisations, mainly former members of the Tagammu Party (the only formal leftist party under Hosni Mubarak's reign) who resigned, later joining the party after a split over the party's position on the November 2010 parliamentary elections. The party has been officially recognized on 3 September 2011.
In November of 2013, hundreds of members attempted to resign from the party over party elections as well as a lack of separation from the policies of the state; however, the resignations were rejected by party head Abdel Ghafar Shokr. The former members created the Bread and Freedom Party in late November of 2013.
- Abdel Ghafar Shokr elected chairman of Social Popular Alliance Party, Daily News Egypt, 18 May 2013, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Revolutionary Democratic Coalition: A new voice on Egypt's Left, Ahram Online, 19 September 2012, retrieved 16 December 2013
- Sabbahi, ElBaradei launch National Front to fight Morsi's decrees, Ahram Online, 24 November 2012, retrieved 16 December 2013
- "Al-Dostour Party hopes to amend Parliamentary Elections Law". Daily News Egypt. 2 July 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Egypt's leftist front, will it survive?". Ahram Online. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Five socialist parties unite to impact Egyptian politics". Ahram Online. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 16 December 201313.
- "Socialist Alliance holds slain protester's funeral in Egypt's Tahrir". Ahram Online. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Social Popular Alliance Party shaken by 304 resignations, Daily News Egypt, 9 November 2013, retrieved 16 December 2013
- "New socialist party launched in Egypt". Ahram Online. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 16 December 2013.