Society for Neuroscience
|Key people||Larry Swanson, President|
|Motto||Advancing the Understanding of the Brain and Nervous System|
The Society for Neuroscience (SfN) is a professional society, headquartered in Washington, D.C., for basic scientists and physicians around the world whose research is focused on the study of the brain and nervous system.
- Advance the understanding of the brain and the nervous system.
- Provide professional development activities, information, and educational resources.
- Promote public information and general education about science and neuroscience.
- Inform legislators and other policy makers about the implications of research for public policy, societal benefit, and continued scientific progress.
The Society holds an annual meeting that is attended by scientists from around the world. Neuroscience 2008 in Washington, DC represented 38 years as a leading organization for the study of the brain and nervous system. Over 31,000 people from across the globe gathered to exchange ideas about the latest discoveries and research on the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system. More than 15,500 presentations were given, including 12 special lectures, 21 symposia, and 25 mini-symposia, covering research ranging from single molecules to human behavior.
Recent annual meetings were held in Washington, DC, November 12–16, 2011; and New Orleans, LA, October 13–17, 2012.
The first annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, held in Washington, D.C. in 1971, was attended by 1,396 scientists. Subsequent meetings have been held in a variety of cities throughout the USA except for the 1988 meeting, which was held in Canada. A selection of recent meetings are summarized in the table.
|2000||November 4–9||New Orleans, Louisiana||25,849|
|2001||November 10–15||San Diego, California||28,774|
|2002||November 2–7||Orlando, Florida||25,781|
|2003||November 8–12||New Orleans, Louisiana||28,778|
|2004||October 23–27||San Diego, California||31,458|
|2005||November 11–16||Washington, D.C.||34,815|
|2006||October 14–18||Atlanta, Georgia||25,785|
|2007||November 3–7||San Diego, California||32,180|
|2008||November 15–19||Washington, DC||31,652|
|2009||October 17–21||Chicago, Illinois||30,547|
|2010||November 13–17||San Diego, California||31,975|
|2011||November 12–16||Washington, DC||32,357|
|2012||October 13–17||New Orleans, LA||28,574|
- Giles, Jim (2005-11-13). "Society for Neuroscience" (News Blog). Nature. Nature Publishing Group. doi:10.1038/news051114-4. Retrieved 2005-11-17. (subscription required)
- "Society Mission". Society for Neuroscience. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "Annual Meeting Statistics, 1971-2009". Society for Neuroscience. Retrieved 2010-01-27.