Society for News Design
The Society for News Design (SND) is an international organization for professionals working in the news sector of the media industry, specifically those involved with graphic design, illustration, web design and infographics.
Founded in 1979, it is a United States-registered non-profit organization with about 1,000 members worldwide. Among other activities, it runs an annual Best of News Design competition open to newspapers from around the world at Syracuse University every February, an updated Best of Digital Design international competition at Ball State University, and a yearly conference (rotating through various cities) that brings in visual journalists from all over the world.
SND also has a number of offshoot organizations, including student chapters (the largest including those at Ohio University, Michigan State University, the University of Missouri and Syracuse University) and international chapters.
Officers serve a one year term and are selected by election of the SND membership. While the positions are decided on by election, historically most positions are held by prior position holders in a hierarchical style, in this way officers have generally progressed up a leadership ladder through other areas on the board of directors.
- President: Rob Schneider, Presentation Director, The Dallas Morning News
- Vice President: David Kordalski, AME Visuals, The Plain Dealer
- Secretary/treasurer: Lee Steele, Design Editor Hearst Connecticut Newspapers
- Executive director: Stephen Komives, Society for News Design
- Immediate Past President: Jonathon Berlin, Design Director, Chicago Tribune
- Past Presidents of the Society 
The organization publishes a number of publications throughout the year:
- A yearly full-color book featuring images of the winners of the Best of Newspaper Design competition
- Design Magazine, a biannual full-color magazine notable for changing its typography with every issue and focusing on the latest news design trends
- SND Update, a web-based "newsletter" that tends to focus more on breaking industry news and organization-related events.
- Área-11, the digital newsletter in Spanish for México, Central & South America (R-11 & 12).
SND holds a number of regional and international events, with the purpose of educating and allowing opportunities for members to network. The Society for News Design's annual fall workshop rotates through various cities around the world. Although generally in the United States, the workshop has visited locations in Canada, Puerto Rico, Denmark and Spain and Argentina (2009). The weekend-long event features a number of guest speakers on a variety of topics along with critiques, an auction and a formal dinner.
SND Orlando 2006 hosted the "The Intern" competition. Ten students were chosen from a pool of applicants to compete for internships at The San Jose Mercury News, The Orlando Sentinel, and The Arizona Republic. The students competed for a week and attended the conference, where the winners were announced.
Throughout the year, SND members put on a number of one-to-two-day educational quick courses held throughout the world and designed to focus on a specific visual journalism topic.
In 8 and 9 November 2012, Society for News Design- Middle East and Africa organized the "FIRST MIDDLE EAST NEWS DESIGN CONFERENCE" in Beirut, organized by An Nahar newspaper and SND. see more; http://www.snd20events.com/
- snd.org - Official Web site
- SND Frankfurt, Germany 2014 conference and workshop
- SND Louisville - SND Louisville 2013 conference and workshop website
- SND Cleveland - SND Cleveland 2012 conference and workshop website
- SND St. Louis - SND St. Louis 2011 conference and workshop website
- SND Boston - Official Web site of the 2007 SND conference
- SND Vegas - Official Web site of the 2008 SND conference
- SND Denver - Official Web site of the 2010 SND conference
- www.snd-20.org - SND regional Web site for Middle East and Africa
- Charles Apple's blog "The visual side of journalism" - A regularly updated, popular news design blog tracking jobs, redesigns, some technology changes related to news design that covers a lot of SND news and is followed by the majority of SND members
- NewsDesigner - A visual blog highlighting industry-related breaking news.
- Visual Editors - A visual journalism forum popular with SND members.
- Today's Front Pages - An updated-daily repository of newspaper front pages by Newseum, a newspaper museum in Washington, D.C.
- Society of Publication Designers - A similar professional organization, focusing on magazines and other publications
- Sharethoughts with tksajeev-A newspaperdesign blog
- News design conferences and workshop in Middle East and Africa