Society of St James
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2011)|
|Motto||Believing in your future|
|Purpose||Houses vulnerable people|
|Region served||Southampton, England|
The Society of St James is an English charity based in Southampton, providing accommodation with care and support to homeless and vulnerable people. The Society began in 1972 by establishing a night shelter for homeless men in St James’ Church Hall, followed by a soup run in the city.
Now, the Society manages over 25 projects, with over 180 people being housed at any one time. The Society also runs several projects supporting people in the community and an employment and training project, Jamie's, where computers are refurbished and recycled. The soup kitchen was discontinued in 2009.
The Society is a registered charity (Registered Charity Number: 1043664) and became a Housing association in 1998.
The Society is a secular organisation. It gained national media attention in 2009 when it suspended an employee for discussing religious views with a colleague during the night shift.
In 2011 the charity highlighted the issue of homelessness with a model skeleton on a sleeping bag with the sign "how long until you take notice?"
- "The Society of St James ending Southampton soup kitchen service". Daily Echo. 6 August 2009. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Charity worker suspended over 'religious debate' with work colleague". Daily Telegraph. 11 April 2009. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Southampton's 'Skinny Steve' skeleton supports charity". BBC. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- Society of St James website
- The Society of St James on the archived Housing Corporation website
- The Society of St James' official video channel on YouTube
|This England-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a charitable organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|