Vassilieva in June 2009
|Born||Sofia Vladimirovna Vassilieva
October 22, 1992
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S
|Other names||Sonya, Sonechka|
|Education||Bachelor's degree (magna cum laude)|
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
Sofia Vladimirovna Vassilieva (born October 22, 1992; Russian: София Владимировнa Васильева) is an American actress. She is best known for playing the children's book heroine Eloise, in two made-for-television movies, Ariel Dubois in the Emmy-winning TV series Medium, and the cancer patient Kate Fitzgerald in the 2009 film adaptation of My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
Vassilieva was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the daughter of Russian immigrant parents Drs. Larissa Vassilieva and Vladimir Vassiliev, a biologist and physicist respectively, both from Novosibirsk. She attended and graduated from Barbizon Modeling and Acting in Arizona.
At the age of seven, Vassilieva was discovered at the International Modeling and Talent Association IMTA in New York where she won the title of Child Actress and first runner-up Child Model Of The Year 2000.
In 2002, she played Cindy Brady in The Brady Bunch in the White House (2002) opposite Shelley Long and Gary Cole; a little girl named Gina in Inhabited (2003) opposite Malcolm McDowell; and The Bad Seed's former child actress Patty McCormack.
In 2002 - 2003, she played the children's book heroine Eloise, in two made-for-television movies Eloise at the Plaza and Eloise at Christmastime directed by Kevin Lima, with Julie Andrews as Nanny. For her work as Eloise she was nominated as Leading Young Actress for Best Performance in a TV Movie, Miniseries or Special for Young Artist Award in 2004.
She was a presenter of Family Feature Film on the Humane Society's 19th Genesis Awards in 2005. She won two Young Artist Award in 2006 for best supporting actress in a TV Drama for her role in Medium and in 2010 for best supporting actress in a feature film for her role in My Sister's Keeper.
Sofia had a leading role in the 2009 screen adaption of the novel My Sister's Keeper, written by Jodi Picoult, alongside Cameron Diaz, Jason Patric and Abigail Breslin. The film was directed by Nick Cassavetes. Sofia shaved her head and eyebrows for her role as Kate, a cancer patient. In the same year, she became an honorary ambassador for Stand Up to Cancer.
Graduated from Columbia College, Columbia University, with a Bachelor of Arts and Science degree on May 21, 2014; completed a Linguistics major With Honours degree and a special concentration in Business Management. She is a member of Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity.
|2001||The Brady Bunch in the White House||Cindy Brady||TV movie|
|2003||Eloise at the Plaza||Eloise||TV movie|
|2003||Eloise at Christmastime||Eloise||TV movie|
|2009||My Sister's Keeper||Kate Fitzgerald|
|2010||Stand Up to Cancer||Herself||Telethon|
|2011, 2013||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Sarah Walsh||TV series (2 episodes)|
|2013||Call Me Crazy: A Five Film||Allison||TV Movie|
- "My Sister's Keeper". movieset.com. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Barbizon Modeling and Acting - Alumni". http://www.barbizonmodeling.com.
- "Sofia Vassilieva debut of series Medium". IMTA official blog. Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- Deutsch, Robert (2003-04-24). "Life imitates art at The Plaza hotel". USA Today.com. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- Hughes, Mike. "'Eloise' a role quite befitting a young, adventurous actress". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on 2007-11-22. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- "Sofia Vassilieva Chats About Medium". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- "Role of cancer patient emotional for teen actress Sofia Vassilieva". azcentral.com. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "All Grown Up", TV Guide, July 11, 2011, page 6
- HURT - the movie
- Breslin, Vassilieva to star in 'Keeper'