The main ideas were:
- Tools and data can reside on many different systems across the network
- Tool communication using a Broadcast Message Server
- Common user interface
- Integrated help facility
- Tool Slots
- Encapsulator – tool for encapsulate any CASE tool into a Tool Slot if it supports standard I/O.
1. Hewlett-Packard Journal, Vol. 41, no. 3, June 1990, pp. 6-68.
2. HP Softbench has reserved ports 6110-6111 in the IANA list of port assignments List of TCP and UDP port numbers
3. HP SoftBench-support for distributed working Bark, R. Architectures for Distributed Development Support Environments, IEE Colloquium on Volume, Issue, 4 Nov 1991 Page(s):7/1 - 7/5