Type of site
|Available in||English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Polish, Dutch, Japanese, Bulgarian, Swedish and others|
|Created by||Tomás Diago|
|188 (April 2014[update])|
Softonic started in 1997 as a file-oriented service called Shareware Intercom, at Intercom Online (Grupo Intercom), a provider of Internet services in Cerdanyola del Vallès, near Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain). Originally files for the website came from the "Files Library Intercom BBS" at Intercom Online, using a "5-step semi-automated process", which was later greatly simplified. The company also offered monthly CDs of its software library for users tired of "having to wait for downloads to complete or pay exorbitant phone bills." In 1999, the service was described as having a "generosity of games, antivirus, education and the long, seductive etcetera." In 2000, the company became independent under the name Softonic. In 2004, Softonic was made available in German, and in 2005, English. Initially the service was oriented only to downloads of DOS and Windows software, but it evolved to offer software downloads for Mac and mobile platforms. Softonic was listed as the "Best place to work in Spain (100-250 employees)" in an annual study by the Great Place to Work Institute, in 2009-2011, and as second-best in 2008. In 2009 and 2011, the site was listed as having the most unique visitor traffic in Spain by audit bureau OJD Interactiva.
In February, 2015, Softonic announced that Scott Arpajian had been appointed as CEO of Softonic, replacing the founder, Tomás Diago. 
Softonic offers the "Softonic Toolbar", a Windows-only 4MB web browser add-on for Firefox and Internet Explorer which provides company-specific content, online services, and streamed music.[not in citation given] For software hosted by Softonic, downloads can be accompanied by a customized "Softonic Downloader" which shows "commercial offers, such as the Softonic Toolbar." According to Softonic, "some offers can include software that contains advertising".
- "Softonic.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Online - Most Visited Web Sites - NetCraft)
- "About OnSoftware | OnSoftware". En.onsoftware.com. Retrieved 2010-08-04..
- "Shareware". Intercom.es.
- "Backstage" (in Spanish). Shareware.Intercom.es. Archived from the original on February 21, 1999. (English tr.).
- "CDROMs Softonic". Softonic.com. Archived from the original on December 5, 2000.
- "Enredados (Tangled)" (in Spanish). Spain: El Tiempo. December 19, 1999.(English tr.)
- "About Softonic". Softonic.com. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- "About Softonic". Softonic.com. Archived from the original on December 15, 2005.
- "Shareware.intercom" (in Spanish). shareware.intercom.es. Archived from the original on December 24, 1997.
- "Best Workplaces in Spain 2011". Great Place to Work. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- "Vodafone, Louis Vuitton y Softonic, entre las mejores empresas para trabajar en España". El Mundo (in Spanish). April 22, 2010.
- "Auditoría Online - Certificación Audiencia - Difusión Medios Online". Archived from the original on 2009-06-15.
- "MES: SEPTIEMBRE 2011 - TIPO DE DATO: TOTALES - TRÁFICO NACIONAL E INTERNACIONAL". ojdinteractiva.es. (sort by "N.UNICOS", sort by "PAGINAS")
- "Softonic Names Scott Arpajian New CEO"
- "Softonic Toolbar". Softonic.com. March 24, 2010.
- "Softonic Toolbar" download page. Softonic.com.
- "Do InstallPlus offers include adware?". Support.Softonic.com. June 21, 2013.
- "Another problematic Softonioc installer brings Adware".
- "Softonic delivers adware".