|Traded as||FWB: SOW
|Karl-Heinz Streibich (CEO and chairman of the executive board), Andreas Bereczky (Chairman of the supervisory board)|
|Products||Business process management software and consulting (including ARIS Express, webMethods, ADABAS, Natural)|
|Revenue||€1.120 billion (2010)|
|€268.6 million (2010)|
|Profit||€175.4 million (2010)|
|Total assets||€1.600 billion (end 2010)|
|Total equity||€769.3 million (end 2010)|
Number of employees
|5,419 (FTE, 2012)|
Founded in 1969, Software AG is an enterprise software company with over 10,000 enterprise customers in over 70 countries. The company is the second largest software vendor in Germany, the fourth in Europe (following SAP's acquisition of Business Objects) and among the top 25 globally. Software AG is traded on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange’s TecDAX under the symbol “SOW”.
The company was founded in 1969 by a group of six young employees at the consulting firm AIV (Institut für Angewandte Informationsverarbeitung). ADABAS was launched in 1971 as a high performance transactional database management system. In 1979 Natural, a 4GL application development language, was launched. The company continued to open offices and subsidiaries in North America (1971), Japan (1974), UK (1977), France (1983), Spain (1984), Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and Saudi Arabia (1985). By 1987 Software AG had around 500 employees, 12 subsidiaries in Europe and offices in more than 50 countries. In 1999 Software AG was listed on Frankfurt Stock Exchange and soon after the company released Tamino Information Server and Tamino XML Server.
In January 2005, Software AG acquired Sabratec Ltd, a privately held legacy integration vendor headquartered in Israel. This was followed-up by the acquisition of its Israeli distributor SPL software in March 2007 and the application modernization business of another Israeli company, Jacada in December 2007, which formed the basis for its research and development center in Israel.
The company launched Centrasite SOA Governance platform in 2006 and with $546M acquisition of U.S. rival webMethods in 2007 Software AG became one of the leaders in enterprise service bus, business process management and service-oriented architecture (SOA) product space.
In July 2009 Software AG announced a takeover offer for the Germany-based company IDS Scheer AG. Since February 2010 IDS Scheer is part of the Software AG Group. In October 2010, the company acquired New Jersey based Data Foundations, a leading master data management provider.
In May 2011, Software AG acquired Terracotta Inc and Metismo Ltd. Terracotta Inc is a leader in the field of in-memory technology for high-performance applications and cloud services. Especially the middleware platform WebMethods should benefit from this acquisition. Metismo Ltd. has an extremely flexible and versatile platform for the development of device-independent mobile applications. It enables design and development of applications and the automatic transformation in the different formats of mobile devices.
In April 2012, Software AG announced to buy the British technology provider my-Channels. With My-Channels, Software AG gained in-house access to universal messaging technology that allowed the company to transfer their data streams quickly and safely to the cloud and mobile applications.
In March 2013, Software AG invested in Berlin-based company metaquark, which is specialized in mobile solutions. The aim is to jointly develop the webMethods Mobile Suite of Software AG. This allowed the company to access especially to the innovative know-how of metaquark.
In April 2013, Software AG bought the US cloud platform provider LongJump. The Platform as a Service offers a range of ready-made modules and templates for building and running business applications in the public or private cloud settings.
On June 3, 2013, Software AG acquired alfabet AG. Alfabet is a leading software provider in the areas of "Enterprise Architecture" and "IT Portfolio Management" focusing on the planning and optimization of IT landscapes.
On June 13, Software AG announced that it has purchased the Apama Complex Event Processing Platform of Progress Software. The platform provides an environment for the design and operation of CEP applications providing tools and graphical analysis and test capabilities for analysts, developers and administrators.
Software AG acquired JackBe in August 2013 to serve as the foundation for its Intelligent Business Operations Platform, which provides analytics and decision management for real-time applications.
Software AG is a business infrastructure software provider with products in various technologies like DBMS, application modernization, SOA, BPMS and ESB. Below are a few of their products on the market.
- ADABAS – a high performance transactional database management system
- Natural – a 4GL application development language can be used along with ADABAS for application development
- Centrasite – a flagship SOA governance application which provides UDDI as well as governance
- webMethods – an ESB, BPMS, SOA enablement and B2B integration
- Tamino Information Server – Information server based on XML for the storage, management and transfer of structured and unstructured data, now called webMethods Tamino
- ARIS – newly acquired business process analysis platform. A free version is available as ARIS Express.
- Terracotta – Company behind opensource Ehcache. Big memory, Quartz scheduler are their primary products. My-Channel's Nirvana messaging is now offered as Terracotta Universal Messaging.
- Apama - Platform for streaming analytics and intelligent automated action on fast-moving big data. Combinines event processing, messaging, in-memory data management and visualization.
- Alfabet – Project Management and Planning Software
The company provides educational services to customers as well as individual consultants. Trainings can be availed at Software AG training centres or online. Software AG also conducts certification exams for consultants.
Apart from educational services, the company provides consulting services to its customers. The company has an Offshore Global Consulting Services division located in Bangalore and Chennai, India.
Awards and recognition
- 2014 Software AG was cited as a Leader in the Wide, Deep and Internet-of-Things Integration Categories in The Forrester Wave™: Hybrid² Integration, Q1 2014, Forrester Research, Inc
- 2013 Software AG named a Leader in Gartner's Magic quadrant for application service governance.
- 2012 Terracotta Big Memory wins 2012 Big Data technology top innovator award.
- 2012 Software AG Positioned in the Leaders Quadrant for Enterprise Architecture Tools
- 2010 A leader in the Forrester Wave for Business Process Management Suites BPMS, Q3 2010
- 2010 Placed in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant for the Magic Quadrant for delivering service-oriented architecture (SOA) SOA Governance technologies to the marketplace Q2 2010
- 2009 A leader in the Forrester Wave for Enterprise Service Buses, Q1, 2009
- 2008 A leader in the Forrester Wave for Integration-Centric BPM Suites, Q4 2008
- 2008 Placed in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant of the Magic Quadrant for B2B Gateway Providers
- 2008 Placed in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant for the Magic Quadrant for Application Infrastructure for SOA Composite Application Projects
- 2008 Placed in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant for the Magic Quadrant for Application Infrastructure for Back-End Application Integration Projects
- 2008 Placed in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant of the Magic Quadrant for Business Process Management Suites BPM
- 2008 Placed in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant of the Magic Quadrant for Integrated SOA Governance Technology Sets
- "Annual Report 2010". Software AG. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Annual Report 2012". Software AG. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Software AG to Acquire Legacy Integration Technology Company Sabratec Ltd., Globes, 9 January 2005
- Software AG: US will be our top market in future, Jerusalem Post, 10/25/2012
- Jacada Announces Sale of its Application Modernization Business to Software AG for $26 Million, December 20, 2007 (Reuters)
- "The domination and profit transfer agreement between Software AG and IDS Scheer AG now registered"
- Software AG freut sich über Cloud-Technologie, Handelsblatt
- Software AG übernimmt Metismo, Handelsblatt
- Software AG übernimmt britischen Messaging-Spezialisten, Computerwoche
- Software AG invests in mobile startup
- Software AG kauft PaaS-Firma LongJump
- Software AG übernimmt alfabet, crn.de
- Software AG kauft Apama, Heise
- "Datameer Secures $19 Million to Meet Global Demand for Self-Service Big Data Analytics for Hadoop".
- "Datameer Raises $19M As Market For Hadoop And Big Data Analytics Hits An Inflection Point".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Software AG.|