Inayatullah is most famous for introducing and pioneering the futures technique of causal layered analysis, that uses a four-layered approach to bring about transformative change. He introduced the idea in a widely cited paper for Futures. He also edited and wrote the introductory chapter for the Causal Layered Analysis (CLA) Reader. He has also described the idea for a popular audience in an article for The Futurist and a TEDx talk.
Inayatullah's work on CLA was examined in a book by Jose W. Ramos in 2003.
In addition to his role at Tamkang University, Inayatullah is an Adjunct Professor, Centre for Policing, Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism, Macquarie University, Sydney, and Adjunct Professor at the University of the Sunshine Coast (Faculty of Social Sciences and the Arts).
Role in journals and web publications
Inayatullah is co-editor (along with Clement C. P. Chang and Jian-Bang Deng) of the Journal of Futures Studies, one of the top journals in futures studies. He is also associated editor of New Renaissance and is on the editorial boards of Futures, Development, Peace and Democracy in South Asia, and foresight.
Inayatullah also co-runs the website Metafuture.org with Ivana Milojevic.
- "Faculty, Graduate Institute of Futures Studies". Tamkang University. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Sohail Inayatullah". School of International Futures. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Inayatullah, Sohail (January–February 2014). "Causal Layered Analysis Defined". The Futurist (World Future Society) 48 (1). Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Causal Layered Analysis". Scenarios for Sustainability Recipes. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Inayatullah, Sohail (October 1998). "Causal layered analysis: Poststructuralism as method" (PDF). Futures 30 (8): 815–829. doi:10.1016/S0016-3287(98)00086-X. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "The Causal Layered Analysis (CLA) Reader: Theory and Case Studies of an Integrative and Transformative Methodology" (PDF). Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Inayatullah, Sohail (May 12, 2013). "Causal Layered Analysis: Sohail Inayatullah at TEDxNoosa". Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Ramos, Jose W. (2003). "From critique to cultural recovery: critical futures studies and casual layered analysis". Australian Foresight Institute. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Sohail Inayatullah". Macquarie University. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Professor receives global futurist award". January 19, 2011. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Editors". Journal of Futures Studies. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Articles by Sohail Inayatullah". New Renaissance Magazine. Renaissance Universal. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Futures Editorial Board". Futures, Elsevier. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Editorial team". foresight, Emerald Publishing Group. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Futures Studies by Sohail Inayatullah, Ivana Milojevic, and global futurists". Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Sohail Inayatullah's blog". World Future Society. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "WFSF Fellows". World Futures Studies Federation. Retrieved July 2, 2014.