|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
|• Total||156 400|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC+6)|
Sohawa is an administrative sub-division (tehsil) of Jhelum District, situated in the Punjab province of Pakistan. It is located in north-western part of the district. One sign of Sohawa is the toll plaza by the name of 'Tarakki' on the Grand Trunk Road. The main bazaar of Sohawa attracts people from nearby villages.
The etymology of the name Sohawa has not been proven, but according to folk etymology the original name was Soo Awa which means "100 fences of potters". Sohawa was originally a small village near to Khoraka, after several years of human settlement in these two villages, the original village of Soahwa and Khoraka merged with each other and the present town of Sohawa was formed that contained market of all types. The original village is part of the main town(khoraka) and called "Ward #1" or Purana Sohawa (literally "old Sohawa")
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREHD3XwZUWnVxMumuLBJHbLSmmFzjPRQQrmFdeFUyygmGNpBa- The most famous village is Kot Dhamiak(fort of Dhamials)since the time of Sultan Raja Dhami Khan. Which was a fort at the time when ShahabuDin conquered this area in 16th century. This is the place where Shehab-ud-din ghori was murdered by khokhars.(according to,Allan (1900), p. 210, IMPERIAL GAZETTEERS OF INDIA.census of India 1901)raja ram lal khokhar killed ghori in 1206. Nowadays there is a big market in this village where most people and do shopping. The village named Bishindaur which was changed to Dewan-e-Hazoori by Mian Mohammad Nawaz Shareef on the request of Majlis-e-Qadria Hazrat Dewan-e-Hazoori is located about 5 miles from Sohawa. Bishandour was named on the name of Bishan Singh who ruled the area and was the grandson of Raja Ram Singh who was ruler of Amber, and head of the Kachwaha Rajput clan, from 1688 to 1699.Now This village is named on the name of great saint Hazrat Dewan-e-Hazoori
Dewan e Hazoori was the biggest food market of Sohawa before partition. Dewan e Hazoori has an annual religious event for the birth of the Wali Haji Hafiz Syed Muhammed Abdullah RA, commonly known as Dewan E Hazoori. There is a darbaar and mosque at the heart of the village, where people flock to every Thursday to visit and pay their respects.Hazrat Dewan-e-Hazoori Educational Complex is also a place to visit in Dewan-e-Hazoori.Surgdhan Village is also a famous place of Sohawa Tehsil.
A Tehsil Headquarters Hospital (THQs) Sohawa for the people of Sohawa and surrounding rural areas has been developed by the Government of Pakistan that provides only basic health facilities. For critical health problems peoples have to move to more advanced hospitals. This hospital is currently 40 bedded 20 for female & 20 for male patients. Followings facilities are available 1.emergency services 4 bedded, labour room services, Operation theater facilities, dental surgery, ambulance services, indoor services lab, X-Rays, Ultra sonography facilities, ECG facilities,Blood Bank (Under Construction) 24 huors round the clock & OPD curative, preventive, promotive & rehabilitative services. Following Post of Specialists are still vacant Medical Splt, child splt, Gynaecologist, Eye, ENT Splt, pathologist, Radilogist. this hospital offers free facilities for MCH, Deliveiris. presently there are three lady doctors to provide round the clock 24 Hrs. labour room cover. Further one Rural health center Domeli, 12 basic health units (Adrana, jandala, nagial, gurah uttam singh, kohali,Phulray syedan,surgdhan,dewan e hazoori, pail mirza,karounta,panchor & Banth)3 Government rural dispensaries (Lehri, Gaddar, Baragawah)4 Rural dispensaries (dial, Hayal,Pari derwaiza & Dhairy bakrala)are also providing health services.
- Gakhars Kayani The Royal tribe of this Land, Domeli sultaan Adrrana Bara Ghwa Gatar maloot sanghoi sawan roopar ramdyal Lehri gddari sultanpur Are most famous places of gakhars of this area
Major tribes and clans
The major tribes and clans of the district are the following:
- Bugyal- Bugyal branch of Gakhar tribe from Domeli Baragawah kunba ,karbak Raseela, Gatar jandala katyam baragraan padhri Pind Gola andazan are Much famous in the Political and social activity of Thesil sohawa
- Sikandral- the sikandral Branch of Gakhar tribe from Lehri Gdari amraal Bakraala Ganda karonta Parri Sikandral Kharoot are Much famous in Politicaly and Socialy in thr tehsil sohawa
- Admal- Admal Branch of Gakhar tribe from Sugyal
- Mirza- the original founders of village sohawa referred above as "old sohawa" and descendents of 'Mughals'.
- Jat also known as chaudrys - Makwal, Zehran, Waseer, Dhilowal(dhillons), Grewal, Hariar, Jandrial, Jangyal, Khatarmal, Soomro, Tarar, Thathal, Kamawal, Jamawal and Khattars.
- Rajputs - Dhamial Rajputs, Panwar Rajputs(Panwar)(BANGIAL, Akra, Bhatti, Chauhan, Janjua Rajput,khokhar rajput Budhal Rajput and Manhas) Rana
- Awan Malik
- Sayyid (Bukhari, Kazmi)
- Gilzai(gill) Jats (Mostly Belongs to Minorites)