Solano Community College
|Solano Community College|
The main lobby of Solano Community College's Vallejo campus
|Location||Fairfield, California, United States of America
|Campus||Multiple campuses, all rural|
|Former names||Vallejo Junior College|
|Athletics||Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Soccer|
|Affiliations||Bay Valley Conference, World Organization of Webmasters|
Solano Community College (SCC) is a two-year institution of higher learning located in Fairfield, Solano County, California (between San Francisco and Sacramento). It is part of California's public community college system, which comprises 112 campuses in 72 districts across the state.
The college was established in 1945 as Vallejo Junior College. It was part of the Vallejo City Unified School District until 1967, when it established itself as a countywide institution.
SCC consists of a main campus and two satellite campuses: one in Vacaville and another in Vallejo. It also uses space at other locations for classes that the three campuses cannot accommodate. The 192-acre (0.78 km2) main campus in Fairfield was completed in 1971; its Vacaville satellite campus was opened shortly after. On September 15, 2007 the satellite campus in Vallejo had opened. In its first year, the college had approximately 5,000 students and the three-campus system as of 2007 has a total of approximately 11,000 students.
 Service area
The College serves the following communities:
Many graduates of the area's 15 public high schools and three private schools take advantage of the college's educational opportunities.
 Exchange & Cooperation Abroad
 Notable alumni
- Joe Carnahan, independent film director
- Bakari Hendrix, professional basketball player
- Tug McGraw, Major League Baseball relief pitcher and the father of Country music singer Tim McGraw and actor/TV personality Mark McGraw.
- Casey Sheehan, Army Specialist and son of Cindy Sheehan
- Sylvester (Sly) Stewart, Musician and Creator of the famous funk group Sly & the Family Stone
- Rudy Sylvan, NFL, player for the Detroit Lions
- Rob Wainwright, PBA player for the Welcoat Dragons
- Mike Gibson (American football)
- Johnny Colla, Musician/producer/singer/songwriter and founding member of Huey Lewis and The News
 See also
- San Joaquin Delta Community College District, which covers a large part of Solano County including Rio Vista
- Solano College Official web site - Campus Information
- Wolf, Andrea "Triumphant return", Vallejo Times Herald, September 16, 2007
- Letter of Intent for Cooperations between Jinggangshan University and UC Davis and Solano Community College
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Solano Community College|