|IATA: SSE – ICAO: VASL|
|Operator||[Maharashtra airport development corporation]|
|Elevation AMSL||1,584 ft / 483 m|
The airport was built by Indian Defence Authorities in September 1948 during the police action operation on the ex-Hyderabad State. The base, however, was not maintained after the operation. It was re-built in 1987 and was run and maintained by the Public Works Department.
Proposed New Airport
Citing lack of space for expansion, The State Government has taken a decision to develop a new Green Field “Code-D” airport at a cost of Rs. 310 Crores near Boramani village about 15 Kilometres North-east from the current airport. Maharashtra Airport Development Company (MADC) is acquiring about 650 Ha. of land for developing and developing the commercial area around the airport to support this airport 549.34 hectares of which is already government land. Solapur airport has been listed as one among 51 new low-cost airports that were announced by the Government in July 2013.  MADC decided in October 2013 that it would develop Boramani airport by forming a special purpose vehicle (SPV) in the form of joint venture company (JVC) with the Airports Authority of India (AAI). AAI will have a 51 per cent stake in the JVC, while MADC will have 49 per cent. The present value of the land at Boramani and the amount required for rehabilitation of project-affected persons will be treated as MADC’s share on the state government’s behalf. AAI will keep the existing Hotgi airport in Solapur fully operational until Boramai becomes operational after which, Hotgi airport property will be commercially exploited by the JVC. Demarcation of the airport boundary walls began in October 2013.
Airlines and destinations
No scheduled commercial air service at this time.
- "Solapur Communications - Airways". Maharashtra State Gazetteers. 1977. Retrieved 06-03-2012.
- "Solapur Airstrip, solapur". MIDC Website. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Solapur airport is operational sans flights". Times of India. 16 March 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Solapur Airport". MADC Website Website. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Solapur to get new airport". Asian Age. 2 October 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Solapur airport is operational sans flights". Daily News & Analysis. 28 June 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Airport information for VASL at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.