Solar Entertainment Corporation
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2014)|
Solar Entertainment Corporation logo
|Traded as||Solar Entertainment Corporation|
|Predecessor||Solar Entertainment Corporation (1976-present)|
|Founded||1976 (TV moviemaking)
1988 (as a film distribution arm)
2000 (satellite technology)
2008 (as a broadcast company)
|Founder||William Y. Tieng
Willy Y. Tieng
|Headquarters||Ground Floor, Worldwide Corporate Center, EDSA corner Shaw Boulevard, Mandaluyong City, Philippines|
|Wilson Y. Tieng (CEO)
Mitos Borromeo (COO)
Gregorio Perez (CFO)
|Products||ETC, 2nd Avenue, Jack TV, CT, My Movie Channel, Basketball TV, Solar Sports, Solar All Access, NBA Premium TV, Shop TV, Solar Films|
|Services||Free-to-air TV and radio broadcasting, cable television, international film distribution, moviemaking, publishing, news, sports, websites|
|Revenue||PHP 1.3 billion (2011)|
|PHP 3.3 billion (2014) |
|Owner||Tieng family (under the Tieng brothers)|
Number of employees
|201 - 500|
Solar Entertainment Corporation (SEC) is a Filipino media company founded and managed by the Tieng family (by the brothers, Wilson, William & Willy Tieng). It currently operates two free to air channels, eight cable television channels and a film distribution company (Solar Films). Solar Films is the Philippine affiliate for United International Pictures.
- 1 History
- 2 Divisions
- 3 Subsidiaries
- 4 Notable local films released/distributed by Solar
- 5 Productions company by Solar
- 6 Broadcast Assets
- 7 Former subsidiary, divisions and broadcast Assets
- 8 Cable TV channels
- 9 Previous channels
- 10 Pay TV, Broadband and Digital TV
- 11 Media Partnership
- 12 From SkyCable to Terrestrial Television
- 13 Dream Satellite TV
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 External links
Solar Entertainment Corporation (‘Solar’) was founded by the brothers William Tieng, Wilson Tieng, and Willy Tieng in 1976.
As a film distribution arm
Solar Films is formed in 1988, bringing international films (and later, local films since 2009) to the Philippines. Since 2012 Solar has collaborated with Independent film director Brillante Mendoza for a multiple film contract.
In the year 2000, DOMSAT became a subsidiary of Solar Entertainment Corporation (Solar). As its subsidiary, DOMSAT’s teleport is being used by Solar to produce, originate, and distribute its various television program services. Its full service digital broadcast teleport features server technology in Barangay Sta. Cruz, Sumulong Highway, Antipolo City, Rizal. It is built around two encoder platforms, Scientific Atlanta Power Vu Classic(DVB) and Motorola Digicipher II(MPEG-@). Program origination is done on a SeaChange Media Cluster Server System. The facility includes a 500 square meter studio and various linear and non-linear production bays.
As a broadcast company
On January 1, 2008, Solar Entertainment Corporation began to lease block airtime with terrestrial networks, RPN, SBN and RJTV. Those three started carrying shows from Solar's, with C/S on RPN, ETC on SBN, and 2nd Avenue on RJTV.
On November 29, 2009, Solar Entertainment Corporation rebranded C/S9 as Solar TV at 11:00am with a slogan It's A Bright New World on RPN. On October 31, 2010, it changed some of its programming content to English/Tagalog with a new slogan Kung Saan Lahat Panalo!. It ended its broadcast on February 25, 2011
On March 2, 2011, After SEC acquired 34 percent of RPN from the Philippine government as part of RPN/IBC privatization in 2011, Solar TV finally ventured into news at the end of 2011. On March 2, 2011, ETC moved to RPN while TalkTV launched over SBN. TalkTV is formed by Solar Television Network (now Nine Media Corporation), then owned by Solar Entertainment after the latter lead the privatization of RPN. The first programs that aired on the channel are Dateline NBC, Today Show, Today's Talk, NBC Nightly News, Inside Edition, Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Show with David Letterman.
On May 31, 2011, ETC launched the slogan "Young and Loving It". It also saw new programs such as the reality series The Rachel Zoe Project and Bachelor Pad, drama series Nikita, and The Secret Circle, US hit reality series The Glee Project, comedy shows like New Girl and 2 Broke Girls, and local lifestyle show Etcetera. In 2012, ETC includes the reality show American Idol, local programs like Project Runway Philippines (season 3), drama series The Lying Game, Emily Owens MD and Beauty and the Beast, and local infotainment show ETC HQ. In 2013, ETC aired comedy-drama series The Carrie Diaries, sitcom series Super Fun Night, supernatural drama series Ravenswood, horror fantasy drama series The Originals and among others.
Solar News, known for its back-to-basics and unbiased journalism was formed in January 2012 during the coverage of the Impeachment Trial of former Chief Justice Renato Corona. Post-EDSA revolution ABS-CBN newsmen Pal Marquez, Jing Magsaysay and Pia Hontiveros together with former ANC anchors Claire Celdran, Mai Rodriguez and Nancy Irlanda known as the pillars of Solar News. Most of its news reporters are from ABS-CBN and ANC, as well as from RPN NewsWatch, the sole and longest running English newscast of Radio Philippines Network, which was stopped airing in 2012 as an effect of RPN's privatization.
In July 16, 2012, Solar News launches its first local newscast Solar Network News(now known as CNN Philippines Network News) followed by Solar Nightly News(now known as CNN Philippines Nightly News), An hourly news update called Solar News Update(later on called Solar Headlines and on August 25, 2014, it was now known as CNN Philippines Updates), Solar Newsday(now known as CNN Philippines News Room) and Solar Daybreak(now known as CNN Philippines Headline News).
On October 30, 2012, at 5:45 am, TalkTV was replaced as Solar News Channel on Channel 21 via SBN. The channel saw the relaunch of sports news program Solar Sports Desk (now known as CNN Philippines Sports Desk), as well as the initial telecast of the Solar News and Current affairs block in November 2012 composing of 5 public affairs programs (namely Legal HD, MedTalk, News.PH, Opposing Views, Elections 2013 and News Cafe), 60 Minutes, Top Gear, Undercover Boss and the "Stories" Documentaries block. When SNC moved to RPN, it launched its own mobile application for smartphone users, consisting of features such as live streaming, catch-up episodes (newscasts and Stories) and latest news from the network's news website. In January 2013, Solar News Cebuano (now known as CNN Philippines Cebuano News) made history as the first National newscast delivered in a local dialect.
News reports during this time also cited the interest of Ramon Ang, the President and COO of San Miguel Corporation, to explore the possibility of acquiring a controlling stake in Solar Entertainment Corporation in his personal capacity. However, no further announcements were made after this and Ang subsequently reached an agreement to acquire a minority interest in the Networks in 2014.
On May 22, 2013, Solar Entertainment Corporation appointed two officers to manage its broadcasting and cable businesses - Manuel “Meckoy” Quiogue as Chief Commercial Officer and Maria Theresa “Mitos” Borromeo as Chief Operating Officer. However, a few days after the announcement, Quiogue suddenly died on May 31, 2013, prior to assuming his position.
Solar News Channel and its partnership (now CNN Philippines) moved to RPN 9 while ETC returned to Solar Entertainment. RPN's former occupant, ETC, returned to SBN Channel 21 (ETC was aired on SBN-21 from 2008-2011 then to RPN-9 from 2011-2013).
In 2014, Solar Entertainment's Solar One Boracay happened during the Labor Day weekend to showcase its channels (ETC, 2nd Avenue, JackTV, JackCITY, My Movie Channel, The Game Channel, Solar Sports, BTV and NBA Premium TV) through various summer activities all over the island. On August 20, Solar Entertainment Corporation chief Wilson Tieng announced that he ceded his entire share on Solar TV Network, Inc., including its 34% majority share on RPN, to Antonio Cabangon Chua, owner of business daily Business Mirror and Aliw Broadcasting Corporation. Tieng sold Solar TV because they are losing money for operations and he will be focusing instead on the remaining television channels he personally owned through Solar Entertainment.
In 2015, Solar Entertainment Corporation launched the #1stonPHTV brand of Solar channels for ETC, 2nd Avenue, Jack TV, Jack City (now known as CT) and My Movie Channel, with the brand implemented on January 6, 2015. Since then, all SEC channels broadcast first-run foreign television programs with the hashtag #1stonPHTV (First on Philippine TV), which was formerly known as "Match Airing" (ETC), "Playing 1st" (Jack TV), "The Newest in the US" & "FastCast" (2nd Avenue) and "See It First" (Jack City).
- Solar Pictures
Notable local films released/distributed by Solar
- Kimmy Dora: Kambal sa Kiyeme (with Star Cinema)
- Wapacman (2009)
- Flames of Love (2012)
- Sapi (2013)
- Mumbai Love (2014)
Productions company by Solar
- ABS-CBN Film Productions, Inc. (Star Cinema)
- AgostoDos Pictures
- APT Entertainment
- GMA Network Films, Inc. (GMA Films)
- OctoArts Films
- Regal Entertainment
- Skylight Films
- Spring Films
- Unitel Productions
- VIVA Films
- 2nd Avenue - (affiliated with RJTV: January 1, 2008 – present)
- ETC - (affiliated with SBN: January 1, 2008 – March 1, 2011, November 30, 2013 – present / RPN: March 2, 2011 – November 29, 2013)
Former subsidiary, divisions and broadcast Assets
- Nine Media Corporation (formerly, Solar Television Network, Inc.)
- Radio Philippines Network (34%)
Cable TV channels
- Basketball TV
- Jack TV
- My Movie Channel
- NBA Premium TV
- Shop TV (HSN)
- Solar All Access
- Solar Sports
- 9TV (34% joint venture with RPN: August 23, 2014 – March 15, 2015, Owner by Nine Media Corporation)
- C/S Origin (2008–2009)
- C/S 9 (2005–2009)
- Hallmark Channel/Diva Universal Philippines (2009–2013)1
- Chase (BEAM: December 24, 2011 – October 19, 2012)
- Jack City (BEAM: October 20, 2012 – August 31, 2014 / Cable: September 1, 2014 – March 21, 2015)
- NBA League Pass
- Playboy TV
- Solar News Channel (34% joint venture with RPN: December 1, 2013 – August 22, 2014 / SBN: October 30, 2012 – November 29, 2013)
- Sports Plus (2004–2006)
- Solar TV (2009-2011)
- Solar USA (2003–2005)
- Talk TV (2011–2012)
- TGC (2011–2015)
- SciFi/Universal Channel Philippines (2009–2012)1
1Joint venture with Universal Networks International
Pay TV, Broadband and Digital TV
- ABS-CBN Corporation
- GMA Network, Inc.
- TV5 Network, Inc.
From SkyCable to Terrestrial Television
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2014)|
Solar's channels have ceased airing on SkyCable, the Philippines' largest cable television provider. An insider claims that these troubles with SkyCable started when boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao, whose fights Solar Entertainment has the exclusive right to air and distribute to, moved from ABS-CBN, the flagship television network of ABS-CBN Corporation and the primary owner of Sky Cable Corporation, to rival GMA Network. Another insider claims that SkyCable wanted to remove ETC and JackTV to make room for their own channels, Velvet and Maxxx. SkyCable wanted to retain C/S, 2nd Avenue, Solar Sports and Basketball TV, but Solar made a decision that they will only renew their contract if SkyCable carries all six channels. Thus, Solar decided to pull out all their channels rather than remove ETC and Jack TV.
However, Solar has inked a deal with local terrestrial channels TV5, RPN, SBN and RJTV for block-time programming. C/S, ETC and 2nd Avenue programming are seen on terrestrial TV channels RPN, SBN and RJTV, respectively, while NBA and WWE programming were seen on TV5, now moved to RPN.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao's boxing promotion, Top Rank, signed a non-guaranteed contract with ABS-CBN Sports to exclusively air fights promoted by Top Rank, with the exception of Pacquiao fights which are still signed exclusively through Solar Entertainment.
Dream Satellite TV
Dream Satellite TV ceased carrying three (3) Solar Channels namely, Solar Sports, ETC and 2nd Avenue(Except C/S 9) effective 1 February 2009. Dream's carriage contract with Solar Entertainment, which expired on 31 December 2008 was not renewed by Dream, citing financial constraints as its main reason. The three Solar channels were replaced by A&E's The History Channel, Biography Channel and Crime and Investigation Channel.
- "http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/sm-prime-solar-investing-20-million-in-new-video-on-demand-venture" (Press release).
- Complete Solar Entertainment Channels except Shop TV
- "Solar Today". Solar Entertainment Corporation. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Coloma: Privatization of RPN 9, IBC 13 in the works GMA News Online. 03-01-2011 Retrieved 03-01-2011
- Agustin, Victor C. (February 25, 2011). "Tiengs move into news". Archived from the original on July 11, 2014. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- 200 RPN 9 employees to lose jobs GMA News Online. 10-02-2012 Retrieved 10-02-2012
- Ramon Ang says in talks to buy Solar Entertainment ABS-CBNNews.com. 10-04-2012 Retrieved 10-04-2012
- "San Miguel's Ang keen on Solar TV, owner of RPN-9". Rappler. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "'Meeting of minds' reached in talks with Ramon Ang for investment, says Solar chairman". InterAksyon.com. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "EXCLUSIVE - BusinessMirror owner acquires biggest stake in RPN9". InterAksyon.com. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Ramon Ang on minority stake in GMA Network: ‘It’s a done deal’". GMA News Online. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Manila Bulletin. "Ramon S. Ang vows to be just passive stockholder in GMA7". Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "GMA’s Gozon: Purchase agreement with Ramon Ang ‘in the homestretch’". GMA News Online. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "CNN Philippines". Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "BusinessWorld - Your life is your message to the world". Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "New investor vows to turn RPN 9 around". Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Solar One Boracay at The District Boracay!". The District Boracay. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- EXCLUSIVE | BusinessMirror owner acquires majority stake in RPN9, InterAksyon.com, August 20, 2014
- Cabangon-Chua acquires RPN-9, philstar.com, August 21, 2014
- 8 official entries in 2009 MMFF bared Philstar.com.
- Ricky Lo. Flames of Love celebrates the Year of Faith Philstar.com.