Solaris (1968 film)
Solaris (1968) - Film Poster
|Directed by||Boris Nirenburg
|Produced by||Soviet Central Television|
|Written by||Nikolay Kemasky|
|Music by||A. Kliot|
|Edited by||G. Engeeva|
|Central Television Studio|
|Running time||143 minutes|
Solaris (Russian: Солярис) is a two-part 1968 Russian television film in black-and-white based on the 1961 novel Solaris by Stanisław Lem. It was the first film adaptation of the novel, and was written by Nikolay Kemarsky, directed by Boris Nirenburg and was a Central Television production (Russian: Центральное телевидение СССР). The film was released on DVD (in Russia) on January 29, 2009.
Dr. Kris Kelvin arrives on Solaris Station, a space station orbiting the ocean planet of Solaris. The scientists there have been studying the planet and its ocean for many decades. Shortly before Kelvin's arrival, the crew exposed the ocean to a high-energy gamma-ray bombardment. The ocean's response tests the scientists' minds by confronting them with their most painful thoughts and memories. The ocean does this by materializing physical human simulacra. Kelvin confronts memories of his dead lover and guilt about her suicide. The torments of the other researchers are only suggested but seem even worse than Kelvin’s personal ordeal. The ocean’s intelligence expresses physical phenomena in ways difficult for their limited science to explain, deeply upsetting the scientists. The alien mind of Solaris appears to differ so much from the human mind that communication doesn't seem possible.
- Vasily Lanovoy as Dr. Kris Kelvin
- Vladimir Etush as Dr. Snaut
- Viktor Zozulin as Dr. Sartorius
- Antonina Pilyus as Harey
- Vyacheslav Dugin
- Anatoly Katsynsky
- Staff. "Solyaris (1968)". IMDB. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Staff. "Solaris 1968 (in german)". OFDB. Retrieved Jily 1, 2013.
- Staff. "Солярис (in russian)". kino-teatr.ru. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Staff. kinopoisk.ru Солярис (in russian) "Солярис (ТВ)". Kinopoisk.ru. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Lem, Stanislaw (1961). "Solaris (ebook - 2011 english translation)". Solaris Bill Johnston (translator). Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Lem, Stanislaw; Kemarsky, Nikolay (1968). "Solaris - 1968 (film script - english subtitle times => "00:03:09,489" + "00:03:30,027" + "00:03:42,443" + "00:04:46,526" - [zipped SRT-file])". Solaris (1968 film). Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Solaris (1968) at the Internet Movie Database
- Solaris (1968,RU) - Film Images.
- Solaris (1968,RU) - Film Images (Vasily Lanovoy).
- Солярис (1968,RU) КИНО-ТЕАТР. (Forum comments, RU).
- Video - Solaris (1968) - Trailer (00:54).
- Video - Solaris (1968) - Complete (142:27) (+eng-subs/via cc).