|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
Solas live in 2010
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Associated acts||Antje Duvekot|
|Past members||Karan Casey
Solas (Irish: light) is an American musical group formed in 1994, playing Irish traditional music as well as original compositions, sometimes demonstrating an inclination towards Country music in recent albums.
Their name comes from an Irish word meaning "light". At the time, the band was made up of Séamus Egan, who had already recorded two solo albums as well as a soundtrack to a film; Winifred Horan, a member of Cherish the Ladies; John Doyle, previously a member of Susan McKeown & The Chanting House with Egan; Karan Casey and John Williams. Their first performance was in Georgetown University's Gaston Hall in Washington, D.C. in 1995.
Solas received national exposure on American Public Media's A Prairie Home Companion in May 1996. That same year, they recorded their first album and, in October, toured the U.S. A second album followed in 1997 and several members of Solas appeared on Karan's debut solo album as session musicians. Following their second album, John Williams left Solas to pursue a solo career to be replaced by Mick McAuley. In 1999, between the releases of The Words That Remain and The Hour Before Dawn, Karan left for a similar purpose and was replaced by Deirdre Scanlan. John Doyle left after the release of The Hour Before Dawn, being replaced by Donal Clancy. Clancy left after the release of The Edge of Silence, and was replaced by Éamon McElholm. In June 2008 the band announced Mairead Phelan had joined the group as their new singer. In September 2010, Niamh Varian-Barry  from Cork replaced Mairead Phelan as lead singer of Solas. On July 11, 2013, they announced on their Facebook page that Niamh was leaving the band and that Noriana Kennedy would be replacing her. In 2015, Solas has been touring with Johnny Connolly on the accordion in place of Mick McAuley. Moira Smiley has also been touring with the band as the featured singer.
- 1996 — Solas
- 1997 — Sunny Spells and Scattered Showers
- 1998 — The Words That Remain
- 2000 — The Hour Before Dawn
- 2002 — The Edge of Silence
- 2003 — Another Day
- 2005 — Waiting for an Echo
- 2006 — Reunion: A Decade of Solas
- 2008 — For Love and Laughter
- 2010 — The Turning Tide
- 2013 — Shamrock City
- "John Williams". Johnwilliamsmusic.com. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Niamh Varian-Barry". Niamhvarianbarry.com. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Compass Records". Compass Records. 2010-09-21. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Solas - Important News from Solas: It has been a joy...". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Official Website
- Official Facebook Page
- Solas (official) on Myspace
- Solas: America's Own Irish-Music Band at CelticCafe.com
- Solas discography at Discogs