Soldier of Love (Sade song)
|"Soldier of Love"|
|Single by Sade|
|from the album Soldier of Love|
|Released||8 December 2009|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||R&B, trip hop, downtempo, rock|
|Length||5:58 (Album Version)
5:00 (Video Version)
4:32 (Radio Edit)
3:34 (Short Radio Edit)
|Writer(s)||Sade Adu, Andrew Hale, Stuart Matthewman, Paul Spencer Denman|
|Producer(s)||Sade Adu, Mike Pela|
|Sade singles chronology|
"Soldier of Love" is a single from the English recording group Sade. It premiered worldwide on 8 December 2009, and it was released on iTunes digitally on 12 January 2010. It is also the band's first new material in almost ten years, preceding their long awaited sixth studio album of the same name which was released worldwide on 8 February 2010. The song was #1 on the Billboard Adult R&B. The song debuted at #58 on the Billboard Hot 100 becoming the band's highest debut on the chart. It has peaked at #52, making it the band's highest-peaking single on that chart since 1992's "No Ordinary Love".
The song was written by Sade Adu along with the other band members and recorded by the end of the summer in 2009.
"Soldier of Love" has been received positively from the music critics, who praised the band's comeback. Pitchfork Media hailed the singer's "incomparable voice, which sounds as passionately poised as it did on 1984's Diamond Life." The Hollywood Reporter gave also a positive review, saying that "It may be just a taste of what's to come, but Sade's latest definitely has its listeners at attention." Digital Spy rated the song four stars out of five, and described it as "a bit of revelation - a rich, atmospheric pop symphony". Rolling Stone called it an "amazing ballad of utter emotional devastation" as well as "classic Sade - a cool and collected song about falling apart," and ranked the song number three on its list of the 50 Best Songs of 2010.
The single was serviced to radio stations on Tuesday, 8 December, and after only one day of airplay in the chart's tracking week of 19 December 2009 "Soldier of Love" debuted at No. 49 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Since then, it has peaked at No. 6 on the chart, making it the band's first top-ten appearance on the chart since "Kiss Of Life" peaked at No. 10 in 1993.
The track debuted at No. 11 on the Urban Hot AC chart, making it the highest debut of the decade and the third highest all-time on the Urban Hot AC chart. It debuted at No. 58 on the Billboard Hot 100 with the song peaking at No. 52, and remaining on the chart for 11 weeks. The song became the band's first No. 1 on the U.S. Adult R&B chart. The song rose 3-1 in its sixth week, marking the chart's speediest ascent to the top spot since Anita Baker topped the chart in under five weeks with "You're My Everything" in 2004.
"Soldier of Love" became the first ever vocal to hit No. 1 on the Smooth Jazz Top 20 countdown. Each of the tally's 45 previous leaders had been instrumentals.
The "Soldier of Love" music video made its premiere onto the internet via Amazon.com on 10 January 2010. It was directed by noted British director Sophie Muller and choreographed by Fatima Robinson. The video, which is rich in odd symbolism, has left many viewers wondering what it means. It has a desert landscape and features soldiers dancing and marching along the song's beats, featuring Sade in a rodeo-esque style as she rides a white stallion, with smoldering and fiery explosions in the back. Sade has said that the soldiers in the video represent her emotions "in the battle ground of life".
|US Wal-Mart CD single|
|1.||"Soldier of Love"||S. Adu, S. Matthewman, P. S. Denman, A. Hale, P. A. Cook||5:58|
|2.||"Flow (from the album Lovers Rock)"||S. Adu, S. Matthewman, P. S. Denman, A. Hale||4:34|
|1.||"Soldier of Love (Radio Edit)"||S. Adu, S. Matthewman, P. S. Denman, A. Hale, P. A. Cook||4:33|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||47|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||9|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||84|
|France (SNEP) Download Chart||37|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||9|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||25|
|United Kingdom (Official UK Charts Company)||123|
|US Billboard Hot 100||52|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Jazz Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Smooth Jazz Songs||16|
|Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||37|
|United States||8 December 2009||Airplay||Sony Music|
|12 January 2010||Digital download, CD single|
|United Kingdom||8 February 2010||Digital download, vinyl|
- "Pitchfork: Track Reviews: Sade - "Soldier of Love"". Pitchfork Media. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Music Reviews: "Soldier of Love"". The Hollywood Reporter. 9 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Music - Singles Reviews - Sade: 'Soldier Of Love' - Digital Spy". Digital Spy. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- "Soldier of Love : Sade : Review : Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. 8 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "Rolling Stone: 50 Best Songs of 2010". Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Up for DiscussionPost Comment (10 December 2009). "Chart Beat Thursday: "Glee" Cast, Colbie Caillat, Sade". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-12-12.
- Soldier Of Love debuts on the Hot 100 Retrieved on 20 January 2009
- Sade's Soldier of Love
- "Ultratop.be – Sade – Soldier of Love" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Sade – Soldier of Love" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Sade Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Sade.
- Bubbling Under Dutch Charts. Sade "Soldier of Love" position #9.
- "lescharts.com – Les charts français" (in French). Les classement de telechargement single.
- "Sade Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Sade.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Sade – Soldier of Love" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Sade – Soldier of Love". Singles Top 60.
- "Sade – Soldier of Love – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Sade Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Sade.
- "Sade Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Sade.