IBM solidDB is a product family, developed and sold by IBM. The product family includes two products built around an in-memory relational database management system. The first product is a stand-alone relational database management system entitled solidDB. The second product, released to market in 2008, is a Universal Cache product, aptly entitled solidDB Universal Cache.
solidDB includes an in-memory database as well as a traditional database, which both employ the same SQL interface, and a high availability option. solidDB presents a DB2-like instance to applications where developers can write commands that would normally have retrieved or written data to a database (thereby incurring some latency). The difference is, because solidDB reads and writes its data only to Random Access Memory within the transaction window, the speed of such operations is up to ten times faster.
In solidDB version 7, tuning and optimization towards the Power7 architecture further enhances the capability of the product. Power7 applications have access to 8 terabytes of memory per core, and up to 2 petabytes of memory globally. In addition, Power7-hosted applications can operate at the speed of petaflops.
IBM Mobile Database
IBM Mobile Database is a small-footprint solidDB data server that is optimized for mobile use. It can synchronize data between mobile and stationary databases, allows for offline data access, has data security features, and has full ACID support. Applications access the IBM Mobile Database using SQL via JDBC.
It is historically used as an embedded database in telecommunications equipment, network software, and similar systems. Companies using solidDB include Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco Systems, EMC Corporation, Hewlett-Packard, Nokia, Siemens AG and Nokia Siemens Networks.
- Product family home page - http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/soliddb/
- Link to solidDB product page http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/soliddb/soliddb/
- Link to press release from IBM http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/25803.wss
- Link to solidDB Universal Cache product page http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/soliddb/universal-cache/
- IBM Mobile Database Product Overview
- Monash, Curt. "IBM acquires SolidDB to compete with Oracle TimesTen" "DBMS2", 2007-12-21. Retrieved on June 12, 2008.